What does this error message mean?

It means that some of the assets used in a scene, have no definitions other then embedded in a hip file (no otl file on disk), which means that they will be saved and carry on with your hip file, despite Houdni's default preference to *not* to save assets inside hip. Is it clear? :unsure:

• Like 1

Thanks Symek, gotcha. I thought I saved the HDA in a file on disk.

Also since you mentioned it, do you know where can I find more info in regards to how OTL files are saved in hip files? You said they are not saved by default. So if I use a custom HDA (from an OTL) in an hip file, Houdini will not store the HDA inside the hip file but only have a reference to it? Like use "CubeGenerator"?

You said they are not saved by default. So if I use a custom HDA (from an OTL) in an hip file, Houdini will not store the HDA inside the hip file but only have a reference to it? Like use "CubeGenerator"?

This is a very nature of HDA, they allow you to reference/use/save elements outside a hip file, this is what you're asking? They will be saved inside only if you open them ("Allow Editing of Content") or if embedded.

All of this is described in details in Help:

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini12.0/assets/

Note though, HDA is very powerful yet complicated feature. It takes some time to master it (though basic usage is a breeze).

• Like 1