I need some help with shaders and shading

calin_casian

I'm trying to render a glass and maybe some caustics. Can someone please tell me how to use this things in houdini (btw. they are not documented so well, except ambient occlusion) because I used the glass shader and it's cool as long as I don't render with shadows (the shadow is black no matter which shadow filter I'm using) and when I want to render from inside the glass only the reflection map is rendering (no transparency). I must admit I'm kind of lost here because I don't fully understand the way that Houdini works with ray tracing/transparencies/caustics

calin

Hey Calin,

Love you rig and here is the answer to your question in detail. http://www.vislab.usyd.edu.au/sidefx/houdi...ring/index.html Its a whole list of video howtos from SideFx's site on how to do exactly what you are asking. They were realsed about 6 months ago about a month before the houdini contest. Then they became hard to find. Now Sidefx posts them in this section on their site.

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

thx, for the link, caustic works fine now. But I still have the transparent shadow and glass shader BIG problem. If I use a glass shader the shadow is opaque even if I use texture shadow as a shadow shader(too bad there is no video tutorial about shadows and raytracing). Basicaly I have a glass object and inside a opaque object. Now what I expect to see in the shadow is a nice transparent shadow (a little less transparent to the edge of the glass shadow) and a opaque shadow of the opaque object. There must be a way of doing this but I'm affraid I don't know how to do it :(

Can someone please help me.

I've try to build a vex glass shader from scratch (like connecting facing forward or fresnel to bouth color and opacity) but it was a total fiasco.

In my opinion this capitol (rendering raytracing and some dumb vex shader creation for transparent/translucent objects like glass, water or ice) needs some more tutorials because I find myself a bit lost in the way that houdini renders

calin

• 4 weeks later...