physical SSS doubt

Hello world

i dont know to use physical SSS node? it would be great if someone could help me out.

I have tried to certain extent but I am not getting it yet.

Also do we need to use scatter and sss pointcloud in sops?

please help me out.thanks

Edited by Hello world

Hi there Brian,

I took a quick peek at your network. First off you dont really need to be using the PhysicalSSS vop when you are also using the Mantra Surface vop. It has the PhysicalSSS vop already within it and works just fine with the diffuse/reflection/refraction/emission models within. That said, another thing i noticed is the PhysicalSSS vop that you placed isnt connected to any part of the network that get goes to the final output. You know that it is treated as an emission especially with PBR with the export parameter, but neither the combined colour or even the single or multiple SSS channels dont make its way to the output node.

I will post a simple node setup of how to get it working with a diffuse model if anything i have said doesnt make sense.

Hi there Brian,

I took a quick peek at your network. First off you dont really need to be using the PhysicalSSS vop when you are also using the Mantra Surface vop. It has the PhysicalSSS vop already within it and works just fine with the diffuse/reflection/refraction/emission models within. That said, another thing i noticed is the PhysicalSSS vop that you placed isnt connected to any part of the network that get goes to the final output. You know that it is treated as an emission especially with PBR with the export parameter, but neither the combined colour or even the single or multiple SSS channels dont make its way to the output node.

I will post a simple node setup of how to get it working with a diffuse model if anything i have said doesnt make sense.

Mantra surface vop- you mean surface model node inside the shop?

can i connect a color to the surface model for the SSS?

but could you post a simple setup with physical SSS node.

Here is the file.

There is both the Mantra Surface Material with SSS applied and a custom material i put together with just diffuse and physical sss models

If there is any problem understanding what is going on just ask. I will be happy to help out.

I however am having a little problem with the file, i cant recreate the exact result from the Mantra Surface material. Ive gone through it pretty much from start to finish and i cant find out what i am doing differently than the Mantra Surface material. If an expert could chime in here that would be great, if not i will post separate topic on the subject, but the custom SSS material is still working just fine in that setup.

edit:// oh and point cloud is generated on the physicalSSS vop itself, you dont need to generate it in SOP's, by default it generate points automatically based on the size of the object (you can set the number youself by turning off Autosize) when using any mode other than Local BRDF when using mutiple scattering is selected.

PhysicalSSS_Setup.hipnc

Edited by phrenzy84