[resolved] Problem Solver Looking for Adventure

eetu

PROBLEM SOLVER LOOKING FOR ADVENTURE

Houdnik seeking for a 2 month gig during the summer, preferably in June-August.

WHAT I SEEK

I've worked in/on startups all my life, and I'd like to see what life is like at a bigger studio.

Somewhere with an advanced Houdini setup and people I could learn from. Exotic location a plus ;)

Job description could be R&D TD/VFX TD/Rendering TD or something along those lines.

WHAT I OFFER

I've been working on commercials as a freelancer and at small studios for 15 years, so I can handle the whole pipeline

from project proposal to master delivery, with the exception of character animation.

I feel most at home doing r&d, or in the lighting/rendering/post phase.

I code and script - mostly in C(++) and Python, but I've touched Java, Pascal, Basic, Fortran and.. 680x0 asm.

I've done plugins with Houdini, Nuke and LW SDK's, plus stand-alone code including Cuda.

I'm more a coder than a programmer - I wouldn't be the best guy to program entire applications, but I understand algorithms.

I thrive in the artist-coder interface, I speak both languages.

I've studied several sciences and graduated from none. I have a firm understanding of the theory of 3d, digital image

creation/manipulation and optics.

For many a year I was a Lightwaver, but these days I spend most of my time in Houdini and Nuke.

My only proper IMDB credit is VFX Supervisor for a stereo Moomins film, although it probably doesn't directly compare to

what a VFX supe does in the big world.

I haven't needed a reel in years, so it'll take some digital archaeology to dig all that stuff up.

In the meanwhile, you could check out my techier stuff at 'Eetu's Lab' or my 'Forest floor WIP' for colorful pixels.

Some turn-of-the-century Lightwave things here, and our company things here (but that's a group effort).

(I got the idea for this a bit late in the game, so I thought I'd better put something up the soonest. Winter^H^H^H^H^H^HSummer is coming.)

Edited by eetu

If I may ask , why only 2 months?

You should look into Vancouver for sure.There are so many kick-ass projects going on . :)

I'm partner in a small studio here in Finland, I don't want to be away for too long at a time :)

(Ok, the "two months" is approximate)

Vancouver in on my list, it does seem to be "hot" at the moment..

Edited by eetu

• 1 month later...

I ended up going to Axis Animation for the summer, who knows where next year.. :)

For future reference, 2 months is a bit awkward visa-wise, better stay within the EU. (or whatever is visa-free for you)

Good luck, and either way I'm sure you made some valuable connections in the process!

- if you do want to come overseas at some point, aim for a 6 month window minimum.

Hope you enjoy Schotland! When I went to visit them I was thinking if ever I live there I would be out in nature every weekend (in the summer)!