Choppy FLIP Fluid

Naeem

Hi,

I am working on a FLIP fluid simulation and I'd like to give it a choppy wave like look without using a displacement map. The reason I'd like to do this at SOP level is so that I can measure the height of the wave to generate foam, spray and particle splashes. I tried using a Mountain SOP but couldn't get the look I wanted. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Naeem.

For a nice fast choppy wave I would definitely got for HOT. What about applying it to the Fluid surface result of the FLIP simulation? That would give a SOP surface you can tweak in SOPs or even better a VOPSOP.

Afterwards you can calculate convexity for the wave to get a cusp attribute than you can use as a source for particles.

Edited by Netvudu

Yea I thought about using the Ocean SOP/VOPSOP from HOT on the Particle Fluid mesh, however I am using Houdini 12 (12.0.581) on Linux x64 and there is no compiled version available for that yet. Hence, I was thinking about the alternatives.

Edited by Naeem

There is way to use Filp to make "choppy wave" like HOT does, but it's cost too much... you can make custom vel curve, and put this curve "inside" flip, and make flip to pick up the initial velocity from the curve, and by turning the velocity up and down to control the strength of choppy. I got an example here

but i only want to use this method to make "moving flip" to collide with the boat not the final choppy effect.

Hope this will help

Edited by nran

There is way to use Filp to make "choppy wave" like HOT does, but it's cost too much... you can make custom vel curve, and put this curve "inside" flip, and make flip to pick up the initial velocity from the curve, and by turning the velocity up and down to control the strength of choppy. I got an example here

but i only want to use this method to make "moving flip" to collide with the boat not the final choppy effect.

Hope this will help

Thanks for that. I'll check it out and see how it goes.

Naeem.