New Hair model Vex ?

Hi guys,

In the documentations is mentioned when you add fur to an object the textured hair material now includes the new hair model vop.

"The fur tool’s shader is built around the Hair Model VOP. If you use the Add Fur tool and click on the created fur object, the Material parameter on the Basic tab will point to the Textured Hair material. If you dive into this shader, you will see the Hair Model VOP near the end of the VOP network. "

It's obvious that SESI didn't put it there yet. I couldn't find it in the created shader . So can someone explain how exactly to connect it and use it with the current shader.The lighting model has a BSDF input and the hair model doesn't have one , also there is a hairspec that I am not sure if I have to delete it since the hair model has reflection and etc. Basically my question is how to modify the current shader with the new hair model and keeping all other options like texturing on the hair possible.It is a little confusing for new Houdini user. Sorry for my newbie question. Hope someone can help.Thanks.

I would remove the two Add VOPs for the final Cf and final F and wire the Cf Of and Af output from the new Hair Model VOP directly to the outputs.

Apply the tinting to the three colour inputs for the three hair BSDF models.

See the help for the new Hair Model VOP to see what the three specular models do and how to best tint them.

I would remove the two Add VOPs for the final Cf and final F and wire the Cf Of and Af output from the new Hair Model VOP directly to the outputs.

Apply the tinting to the three colour inputs for the three hair BSDF models.

See the help for the new Hair Model VOP to see what the three specular models do and how to best tint them.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to look at this ! So basically the diffuse component is not needed? I did modification to the material but I still not sure if I am doing it right.Is it OK to have separate tint color for each reflection and the transmission if I have ramp color already ,plus global tint for the hair?I just want the shader to be optimized as possible but in a same time to have a lot of control :). Take a look if you have time I would be really grateful!

tim_HairShader.otl

The VOP network itself looks fine but the packaging could do with some work.

The current method to create a material shader asset is to create the asset right from the Material Shader Builder node and not put the Material Shader builder in a subnet and create an asset from that. Just select the Material Shader Builder, RMB on it and create an asset. One less folder to navigate through and the VOP network now can accept everything from displacements to Mantra Procedurals.

Once the shader is an asset, in the Operator Type Properties, in the Basic tab you can enable the "Saved Cache Code" option and that will compile the shader when you wrap it up. This one feature is reason enough to turn the Material Shader builder in to an asset itself and not in a subnet.

As for the parameters, if you want to force the Hair Model VOP in to the Fur shader, then sure your parm layout works but it isn't reflective of the three main BSDF models to control the hair which gives you much better control.

Thank you!This was really helpful.

The help was really helpful as well :).It seems I didn't read it very carefully first time.

Here is new version in case anybody need it.

Edit:

Something weird it's happening to the OGL parameters once I save the shader as digital asset.So I removed them and re-uploaded the shader.If anyone knows why they broke please let me know.

tim_FurShader.otl

Edited by T.I.M.

• 2 weeks later...

can someone please help me on the speculaity?

i just cant get it tight. how to get a more hair like look, with stronger "silky fibres" .

i dont get rid of the softness, furryness in the look.

thanks in advance! - ulf

(work in progress...)

wipp.jpg

Maybe adjusting the clump setting might help. Your guides/strands look quite spaced apart, clumping them might help bring an overall sheen quality to the hair.

Are you painting the attribute or are you using custom guides?

btw nice model, Vincent Cassel?