Capping holes

Hi,

I have a mesh with holes and I'd like to cap the holes. I've tried selecting border edges and using the PolyCap SOP, which works. However I need to cap a lot of holes automatically in my setup. Does anyone have any suggestion how I can select the border edges automatically, or whether there's another workflow to cap holes?

Hi,

I have a mesh with holes and I'd like to cap the holes. I've tried selecting border edges and using the PolyCap SOP, which works. However I need to cap a lot of holes automatically in my setup. Does anyone have any suggestion how I can select the border edges automatically, or whether there's another workflow to cap holes?

Add a group sop after your geo, and use that group in your polycap node. it'll polycap all the holes!

Add a group sop after your geo, and use that group in your polycap node. it'll polycap all the holes!

Hi Ehsan, thanks for the extremely quick reply. I tried what you mentioned with a grid that has two holes. The two holes were capped indeed, but I got another large piece of polygon that stretches across the whole grid. Any idea why?

Hi Ehsan, thanks for the extremely quick reply. I tried what you mentioned with a grid that has two holes. The two holes were capped indeed, but I got another large piece of polygon that stretches across the whole grid. Any idea why?

Cause a grid is a non manifold geometry. It will treat the outer edges as a big crazy hole that goes all around it and try to close it.

Cause a grid is a non manifold geometry. It will treat the outer edges as a big crazy hole that goes all around it and try to close it.

Another approach to capping is to use a divide SOP > Remove Shared Edges followed by a merge SOP to merge with the orig geo. Then a fuse SOP. In order to get a better fit for he big irregular polys, you can triagulate them with a scatter sop and triangulate 2d SOP.

Ive attached a file demonstrating this.

Spencer

cap_slueders_001.hip

• Like 2

Also just to make sure:

In the group sop you can group by edges -> Unshared edges this will create 1 group with all the border edges in it.

If you enable "create boundary groups" you get groups with the edges of each border.

Depending on your geo, you could check the amount of primitives in each of those border groups and decide to polycap or not (switch sop in foreach).

Another filtering operation I sometimes do is to measure the area of the newly created polygon, if it is too large it will not be added to the geometry -- in the scenario where I want to close small holes.

I don't know what your final objective is and how important it is to keep the original topology as intact as possible. There are other techniques to help make meshes watertight by using isooffset and sdf.