Houdni fur is not being rendered by 3dl even after adding width attr

rendered Houdini fur using 3delight

1. created sphere

2. created fur using the shelf node

3. Added fur attribute after /fur/display_fur node

4. Added the attribute "width width varying float " in renderman tab

rendered and this is what i got ... is there anything that i forgot?

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/6844/houdinifur.png

here is the screenshot> http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5372/attrib.jpg

this is one thing which is bothering me very badly i need to get alot of assets to be managed in the production using the fur..

i like the controls very much in houdini fur but we want to render using 3delight..

anybody tell me what has to be done..

Apologies if this is too simple, just going off your listed steps. In /obj/fur the render flag is set on a null by default because mantra uses a procedural to generate the fur at render time. If you don't put the purple flag on the display_fur node it will render nothing for this object. /obj/guides_render could be giving you these results, it's meant to pass the guide curves to the mantra procedural, you'll want to turn this object off. Also mapping the attribute won't do anything if width is not present on the geo, is it actually showing up when you MM on the output node?

hi mawi thanks alot its rendering now but there is one problem. Its rendering whats its displaying in the viewport but not anything beyond it. The characters will have few million fur strands. I tried tweaking the parameters of display density / render density but im getting only what i see whats the way to see only few strands and render in more dense env..

hi mawi thanks alot its rendering now but there is one problem. Its rendering whats its displaying in the viewport but not anything beyond it. The characters will have few million fur strands. I tried tweaking the parameters of display density / render density but im getting only what i see whats the way to see only few strands and render in more dense env..

The rendertime generation of fur is a mantra procedural.

The ways to solve this (that I know about).

1. Writing a DSO for 3Delight that generates fur on the fly... Jupiter-jazz had one under development, but I´m not sure they are still on to it. http://www.jupiter-jazz.com/kingkonger

2. Write out RIB files containing all the fur strands. This will produce big files, but hey storage is a no-cost these days. :)