Fracture question

cowboy71

Hey guys,

Pretty new to Houdini, and have been going through some of the cmiVFX tuts which are great, so I'm understanding a bit more

of the program. My question is about how to hold together a pre fractured object until impact. I pre-fractured a plane,

and have a simple sphere smashing through it around frame 30. Just wondering how to hold it together before the impact happens.

Houdini wants to start shattering as soon as the sim starts.

Thanks a bunch

Hey guys,

Pretty new to Houdini, and have been going through some of the cmiVFX tuts which are great, so I'm understanding a bit more

of the program. My question is about how to hold together a pre fractured object until impact. I pre-fractured a plane,

and have a simple sphere smashing through it around frame 30. Just wondering how to hold it together before the impact happens.

Houdini wants to start shattering as soon as the sim starts.

Thanks a bunch

There should be a glue option to allow you to keep your pieces together before the impact if you use rbd-glue object.

There should be a glue option to allow you to keep your pieces together before the impact if you use rbd-glue object.

So would I use the rbd-glue along with the rbd-fracture? I know when I go into the dop network and select the slab i do see

a glue tab along side the initial state tab. That might be for something else, just not sure.

So would I use the rbd-glue along with the rbd-fracture? I know when I go into the dop network and select the slab i do see

a glue tab along side the initial state tab. That might be for something else, just not sure.

If you're using the shelf tools, after fracturing your object you can just click the RBD Glue tool, it will create the dop network and add the glue controls. I usually set the Glue strength to 0 (Glue Tab) and lower the Internal Glue value to 10 (from 1000). I think that only he internal glue will be used for you if all your pieces come from the same SOP. I'm not sure how well it works with the Bullet solver as I usually switch to the RBD solver for my tests.

Cheers

Bruno

If you're using the shelf tools, after fracturing your object you can just click the RBD Glue tool, it will create the dop network and add the glue controls. I usually set the Glue strength to 0 (Glue Tab) and lower the Internal Glue value to 10 (from 1000). I think that only he internal glue will be used for you if all your pieces come from the same SOP. I'm not sure how well it works with the Bullet solver as I usually switch to the RBD solver for my tests.

Cheers

Bruno

Thank you for all the help, can't wait to try it out.

The Glue is for object-object glue, while Internal Glue will hold all of the parts of the shattered pieces (i.e. RBD Fracture Object), together.

You could animated the internal glue in some way, leaving it at -1 (infinite) until a certain frame or condition, then set the glue to some low number for release...

Seriously, SESI should consider a shelf tool for directable fracturing because this is by far the most common DOPs question in any Houdini forum.

Then again, people should use the forum´s search engine because this one has been answered quite a lot of times already.