Move geometry along a point normal

Hi there,

I'm attaching a scene file where I am using a separate xform node to move a tube along the normal calculated from two points. I couldn't find an easier way, but my method seems too complicated and I was hoping someone might know of an easier solution (or a node that I don't know about).

What I'm looking for is pretty straightforward: two points in space, move a piece of copied geometry along the vector connecting these two points. Seems simple enough, I've had issues with the copy sop and pivot/orientation, so this is my solution. Any simpler/better methods would be much appreciated.

thanks!

Hi there,

I'm attaching a scene file where I am using a separate xform node to move a tube along the normal calculated from two points. I couldn't find an easier way, but my method seems too complicated and I was hoping someone might know of an easier solution (or a node that I don't know about).

What I'm looking for is pretty straightforward: two points in space, move a piece of copied geometry along the vector connecting these two points. Seems simple enough, I've had issues with the copy sop and pivot/orientation, so this is my solution. Any simpler/better methods would be much appreciated.

thanks!

Make line out of these 2 points and use it as path in Modify->Follow Path shelf tool.

Hi there,

thanks!

peak SOP is your friend. It transforms the point along the point N, or you can use a point SOP and do a $TX + ($NX * 0.1), $TY + ($NY * 0.1), $TZ + ($NZ * 0.1) in the position paramter. The 0.1 value is the amount you want to move it along the normal. That expression is doing what the peak SOP does.

peak SOP is your friend. It transforms the point along the point N, or you can use a point SOP and do a $TX + ($NX * 0.1), $TY + ($NY * 0.1), $TZ + ($NZ * 0.1) in the position paramter. The 0.1 value is the amount you want to move it along the normal. That expression is doing what the peak SOP does.

thanks both for the advice.

ah yes, peak sop, i didn't think about doing that on the template point going into the copy, that makes sense. How about getting the transform handle into the space of the object? The peak sop is great for moving along the normal, but after the copy sop if I put a transform it seems to always be in world space. Using the method in the file I can move the tube in a space that seems to be more like the object's space since the transform handle is oriented along that point normal. That's something I've always had a problem with the copy sop.

thanks for the help