Junior Houdini user Question

Hey guys, been browsing long time and been trying to dig deeper into houdini for awhile, finally decided to join and see if anyone could point me in the right direction so I could take on Houdini and not be intimidated by it. I've run into a bit of a wall when it comes to the quickest way to get what I need.

I'm trying to get a good look for rocks rising out of a sand suface. so surface sculpting around the geo, and secondary sand emitting falling off...

I've searched Houdini Forums and ODforce forums for days now on sand examples and it's mostly things fading into sand or dissolving away, and not really a surface effect of sand. I'm currently trying to use a flip fluid with custom settings but I lost the sand particles falling off the rocks. and get a goopy sand surface.

I can get good results with maya's nParticles but the sim time is absurd and it still won't have the resolution required. Naiad would be great but the sands collisions and high friction make it tough.

I have attached a vid of the shot to explain it better

thanks

BouldersTest.mov

Edited by morganfreeman

• 8 months later...

Well I figured it out on my own...

Just figured I'd update this post for anyone looking for help that uses search.

Here's the result of my sand / lava / smoke / particle FX comped into the music video I was working on.

Was worth the try on the ODForce forums though :D

Nico Sugleris

FX TD

Edited by morganfreeman
  • Like 2