H12 sourcing. Group smoke by emitter.

Spyrogif

hi folks,

i m working on a smoke sim right now. I m really happy with the motion look. The new sourcing method im H12 is just awsome in my case.

In my DOP i ve two sourcevolume merging together plug to my smoke solver . i need to color in diferents ways smoke coming from each emitter.

I don t talk about color mixing, i just want to be able to group in some way smoke from emitter ome and smoke from emitter 2 to color them at SOP level.

I can t make them separatly because the 2 smoke interract together. Again i don t talk about color mixing.

Any idea how to proceed, i m kinda lost ?

Maybe something like this????

Thx for your setup woodenduck. But im not sure it will work in my case because you only mix smoke who is initiate in the smoke object.

in my case i m emitting from source volume, i m pretty sure your technique do not work in this case but i m maybe wrong.

I did nt post my setup in the fist post my bad.

note : my smoke sim only start at frame 53, and is not in scene center so look through cam1.

smoke_explosion_007.hip

Hello,

So, I edited your setup a bit. I've imported both sources as individual smoke objects and run each through it's own solver. I also added a second volume source to each sim mixing in the Velocity field of the other sim and vice versa, to create the interaction you are after.

What do you think???

It's not a particularly elegant solution and probably wouldn't be that useful if you had a lot of simming to do, but it may be sufficient in this case.

Cheers,

WD

smoke_explosion_007_blendedVelocity.hip

Hello,

So, I edited your setup a bit. I've imported both sources as individual smoke objects and run each through it's own solver. I also added a second volume source to each sim mixing in the Velocity field of the other sim and vice versa, to create the interaction you are after.

What do you think???

It's not a particularly elegant solution and probably wouldn't be that useful if you had a lot of simming to do, but it may be sufficient in this case.

Cheers,

WD

I ve just quickly check your setup and its very elegant to me. I will check this more deeply the next few hours.

Bournemouth is in UK right ? If you go to Paris send me a PM : I owe you a beer now.

Edited by ndeewolfwood

You're welcome, I'm glad it was useful.

Yes, Bournemouth is in UK, but I'm in London now (need to update my profile). If I make it to Paris I'll give you a shout!

As for the upres, it should be sufficient to just decrease the divisions parameter on the smoke object. Something like 0.05 division size should give you something nice to work with, without killing your machine. You can add more detail in the shader too with noise etc. Div size is how the voxel grid is chopped up for simulation, so remember that it is working in 3 dimensions. If you halve the division size you will require 8 times as much processing power (2 x 2 x 2).

Happy simming!

WD

You're welcome, I'm glad it was useful.

Yes, Bournemouth is in UK, but I'm in London now (need to update my profile). If I make it to Paris I'll give you a shout!

As for the upres, it should be sufficient to just decrease the divisions parameter on the smoke object. Something like 0.05 division size should give you something nice to work with, without killing your machine. You can add more detail in the shader too with noise etc. Div size is how the voxel grid is chopped up for simulation, so remember that it is working in 3 dimensions. If you halve the division size you will require 8 times as much processing power (2 x 2 x 2).

Happy simming!

WD

Yep...this is exactly what i m doing right now.

I ve change my emitter shape to get something less consuming for almost the same result.

Now i m simulating at .02 division something like 16go of data for 120 frame with 3 substep, and it s still pretty fast to simulate. (i m still knock out by H12 velocity).

Right now i playing with the billowy smoke shader. i m making some test to put a multifractal noise instead of the default antialiase noise to get something more interresting...

anyway i m feeling pretty confortable with this setup now, one more time thanks for your skill and time. It was very helpfull.

Hello,

I also added a second volume source to each sim mixing in the Velocity field of the other sim and vice versa, to create the interaction you are after.

Hi.

I might be wrong, but it seems to me you're just copying initial velocity volume from SOPs which is [0,0,0] in this case and not the vel field of another sim.

Yes you're right Bloomendale! The Vel field needs to be written out and brought back in, then mixed in with the other sim.

Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks bloomendale, i will try.

For now the result is pretty good without it but i will fix this to get something even better. :-)

Free beer for everybody !!!