Is there a way to hide an operator from the TAB menu?

Hi,

I have a Python operator that I use internally inside other operators, but I don't want it to be created manually by artists. Is there a way to do this?

Is hiding it from the TAB menu enough to do this? I don't know how to do that, because I looked at the Tools > Context in Type Properties and they don't seem to have an option for it.

You can ophide the node type in say an OnLoaded section, or you can remove all the tool menu context information from the tool. This includes unchecking all the operator context boxes and removing anything from the string fields on the 2 tabs. This basically means that there are no places the tool should show up in the tab menu. You can still instantiate the node through opadd/HOM though.

• Like 2

You don't need to modify it as it can it in any of the directories in your $HOUDINI_PATH.

I see. But if I put one in one of the directories of $HOUDINI_PATH, would it not override the other ones? i.e. if the user already has one.

OPcustomize is cumulative so it won't interfere with other instances of the same file. The downside of using this method is that you now need a file on disk. If you do it in an OnLoaded script, or by removing the tool context data, it is a self contained and basically automatic operation.

Edited by graham
  • Like 1