Mix Pyro colours

Matt_K

Hi everyone!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to mix the colours pyro smoke sims?

I have searched for info and tried a number of the example files relating to mixing volumes, mixing fluids etc, but just can't seem to get this right for Pyro2.

What I would like to achieve is this:

Have 2 or more sources that set the colour of the smoke generated from those sources, then where the smoke interacts, the colours should mix or combine, producing blended colours.

I have tried using the sopvectorfield/gasadvectfield method, but I guess I'm missing something.

If anyone has any pointers or can direct me to the best example file I could use as a starting point, I would be most grateful!

I'm using Houdini 12.1.33 on Linux.

Hi everyone!

Does anyone have any ideas on how to mix the colours pyro smoke sims?

I have searched for info and tried a number of the example files relating to mixing volumes, mixing fluids etc, but just can't seem to get this right for Pyro2.

What I would like to achieve is this:

Have 2 or more sources that set the colour of the smoke generated from those sources, then where the smoke interacts, the colours should mix or combine, producing blended colours.

I have tried using the sopvectorfield/gasadvectfield method, but I guess I'm missing something.

If anyone has any pointers or can direct me to the best example file I could use as a starting point, I would be most grateful!

I'm using Houdini 12.1.33 on Linux.

Have a look at page 26 of Peter Claes pdf http://www.peterclaes.be/tutorials/pct_0007.pdf

Scene files can be downloaded too http://www.peterclaes.be/tutorials/PeterClaesThesis/index.html

Edited by jkunz07

-add a Cd vector field at SOP level using fluid source

-in dops add a Cd vector field as well

-add a gas advect field to advect the Cd by velocity

-add gas difuse field to blend between colors

-to see it in render add Cd field in your pyro import DOP I/O node at SOP level

that's it

here is an example:

Pyro2_Color_Mix.hip

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Thanks for all this.  Super helpful.  Here's a dumb question.  How do I see the colors in the viewport?  I was able to replicate all of this, and I can render the colors, but I can not see the colors in the viewport.  ???

( I am in Houdini 14 btw )

thanks

Edited by johnLIC

So, I had the color mix working for a while yesterday, and now it's not working - I'm getting pretty pastel rainbow craziness.  The data in the color channel is messed up - I'm rendering velocities or normals or something, I think.  ????

Hi again - I couldn't get my rainnbows to go away, so I grabbed Dobin's file, and started to build on that.  I have a new problem:  

I am using motionblur in the Fluid Source nodes, but the colors are not getting motion blurred.  I have dots of color in smears of density.  Can anyone help?  I am attaching a file.

pyro_colors.hip