creating multiple shadow maps

Hi!

Happy new year to everyone. :)

I'm creating my own occlusion shader from scratch! ( without occlusion function to have my own controls). I programmed one shader using a ray tracing approach and got the job done.

But i want to use the shadow map approach ( tutorials at deathfall for example), which give the same result with faster renders. For that i need to create multiple shadow maps ( from 10 to... let's say 256).

How can i do that simply?

My approach were to render an animation where my camera would look at the scene from each desired point at each frame, and from that, rendering z-depth. But if i do that and then use the rendered frames as lookup textures, i will have problems because each frame will contain the Houdini logo ( i'm working with Apprentice) . I'm looking for a kinda internal way to do that?

Has anyone got any ideas? ( I don't know if Houdini has built-in functions to create shadow maps) .

Thx for help!

hi FrenchOP,

im probably wrong, and i dont have houdini here to check, but i thought .picnc has no watermark, because its only readable by houdini.. i.e. watermark gets added only when exporting images like tga, jpg ?

Hi,

I think Mark is right here - the watermark in any .picnc or .rat file is "virtual", i.e., the watermark is only applied to the image once the image is displayed or converted to .jpg. This means that your depth images will not be affected by the watermark if you keep them in .picnc format.

Oh, and happy new year!