Is there a way to highlight points/prims like the Group SOP?

magneto

The Group SOP highlights the included points or primitives as if they are selected. Is there a way to do this for digital assets where you want to highlight some points or primitives in a similar manner?

Maybe if you used a Group SOP inside the asset and made it the active message node for the asset, then used an expression to have the Group SOP group what you want highlighted. The Group SOP doesn't have to be part of the output for the asset.

• Like 1

Thanks hopbin, I just tried what you said but when I select the node it doesn't highlight the group elements.

I set the group node to be the message node in the Type Properties. Is this the right way?

Making it the last node in the output works though, but if I can avoid creating a group for the output that would be great :)

Edited by magneto

Making it the last node in the output works though, but if I can avoid creating a group for the output that would be great :)

using a Group SOP was my initial idea too . maybe you can delet the group in the same node ( untested ) or apply it in a node below it .

another ( untested ) suggestion ; there is a Visibility SOP . does it help in tis case ? afair , it can hide selected / not-selected ' things ' ..

• Like 1

Thanks zarti. The points are not highlighted if the group sop is not at the end. Using nulls after the group sop was fine though.

Basically I am just trying to show the points I found, but not "select" them. The points will be used via expressions, but would be nice to see in the viewport for feedback.

I haven't tried the visibility sop, so will try that one and report back :)

I tried visibility but it only works with primitives.

@Christian: I can't change point colors because it would be destructive, similar to if the Group SOP changed point colors to show the included points/primitives in the group.

I just thought this highlighting was supported as a feature. I will just use the Group SOP because that seems to work except create an extra group.

I tried visibility but it only works with primitives.

@Christian: I can't change point colors because it would be destructive, similar to if the Group SOP changed point colors to show the included points/primitives in the group.

I just thought this highlighting was supported as a feature. I will just use the Group SOP because that seems to work except create an extra group.

I don't see why it would necessarily be destructive to use a point or a colour sop to change the colours. You could have a switch in there which is triggered by a checkbox on the top level of your asset to show the grouped points as coloured or not.

Does that not work for ya?

Because it's an asset to find points similar to how the Group SOP can find points using angles for instance. If the Group SOP changed point colors to show me the points found, it would be very counter-productive, as I don't expect it to change anything, but just group things together.

It would be akin to Transform SOP changing topology to show you the transformed geometry smoothed out for display purposes.

• Downvote 2