Challenge: Toon - Moonscape

meshsmooth

Hi there,

This is quite interesting actually; sometimes it take people a couple of weeks to get interested in doing one of these challenges.

I can see how Houdini can do this in the almost exactly same way (and others, of course). Have you tried doing this in Houdini this way?

I am making my way about and finding the tools that are equivalent to the ones used in max. I decided a while ago that I would try to put more of my effort into understanding vex wiring it up and writing it. I have done a 6 month programming corse focusing on java so I have a bit of an idea of what I am doing... a bit. It is quite a learning curve. I wouldn

Hey!

Interesting animation .

This kind of educational animation could be easily automated i houdini with hscript (looping through the OP graphs, even switching between SOP,CHOP,SHOP,COP...( because of its non destructive workflow).

It could be interesting for various tutorials or making-of!

I developed this method for an asteroid in a cartoon I was working on. My mate told them to get me in because modelling it by hand was not looking good. One of the other benefits was a whole field of asteroides could be made from it. The asteroid had one other challenge it needed to have lines that ran up the sides of the cliff walls. The toon render would pick up changes in the smoothing groups and draw the lines in. but the director wanted a different look to the one I made procedurally. He got me to do them by hand then after 5 hrs of mind numbing clicking he decided not to have the lines at all. The production manager was shitty with me for taking so long and so I did explain to the director that this walk up the garden path set us back an extra day. This production had a too tight turnaround. My mates were working 50 - 60 hr weeks and getting payed for 40. But I can

I think there is no question it's very easy to do this exact thing in SOPs in Houdini very easily. What would be a challenge now it do it entirely in VOPs/VEX. Of course, allowing displacement shading to do this would make it hard to fly though the valleys and such, and you may have to boost the Shading Quality to get high quality on such large displacements, but it'd be fun to try.