CHOPs driven VOPSOP deformations

Wooshum

I have created a simple jellyfish bell the motion of which is being driven a simple VOPs deformation. The basic testing setup I have is a sine wave displacing the geometry based in the points position in the Y Axis so that the sine wave flows through the points to mimic a jellyfish motion. See the attached .hip for the setup.

What I am trying to do is drive the motion with a CHOPs channel (audio driven). I am stumped at this point in getting this to work through VOPs. How can I pull the CHOPs channel through vops to get the same deformation as the test setup I have already implemented?

Thanks!

CHOP_Drive_DeformVOP.hipnc

Ah the Channel SOP - that would be something I overlooked in my VOPs quest. Have now implemented the motion through CHOPS with the VOP only controlling the displacement along normals. Got a bit of help from this post for the lag being controlled by SOP attributes:

http://forums.odforc...butes-in-chops/

See attached .hip for solution.

Any ideas at a better way to control this motion appreciated.

CHOP_Drive_DeformVOP_Solved.hipnc

hi dan,

have you taken a look at this series on deformation with chops on sidefx.com? We used this as a starting point on a project involving audio driven deformation via chops for a project. could be helpful if you haven't taken a look already. Also there is a great book on chops and music/audio interaction from andrew lowell.

good luck

Thanks for the links Alex! I have had a look through Jeff's series on the sidefx website and have actually implemented some of the techniques elsewhere in my current project - I was just having a major mind blank, was lost in the world of vops for a while there. I have also been meaning to get Andrew Lowell's book as well - deep in production at the moment.

3 weeks until my deadline, then I finally get some time for proper experimentation!