Hello, Question about breaking into the houdini field

Hello All,

Its been a while since Ive posted here on odforce, reason being Ive been in c4d land for a long time now because of work. However, I'd really love to learn houdini for vfx purposes and I'm about to buy apprentice hd and I'm taking fxphd courses on it.

My question is, what advice could anyone give to someone who is based in nyc and wants to start doing career work with houdini in the near future. Any ideas will be much appreciated :)

Thanks for the heads up :) I guess what I should really ask is how I should go about getting some side projects done worthy of a reel using houdini lol I used it in the past, but have since lost my grounding, because even back then I was a novice hehe. However, I understand the underlying ideas or its procedural workflow, and even remember some of the expressions I once used. But for me to be employable, I've gotta have something to show, and in houdini I have nothing at the moment.

Well I want to learn particle effects, fluid effects and destruction techniques. All of which I think I can begin to learning with the stuff I'm going to take at fxphd. But beyond that I would need to come up with a way to find some small or side projects to do to build up a reel.

Method NY and Framestore NY could also be options.

Appart from that, try learning as much as you can from tutorials and recreate some typical bread and butter type of effects: smoke&dust, destruction, a fancy shader effect, some flip fluids. That should get you enough demoreel material to get you in.

-- Generally it is also a good idea to render, light and shade your own effects and do a quick fxcomp... because that is what will most likely happen when you get the job. That's why knowing how to set up your own custom aovs for some effects passes from your shader and knowing how to combine them in Nuke can really make you much more employable.

• Like 2