divergence free velocity field from particle system

R_cyph

Hey all,

I have a particle system that I'm using to drive the velocity of another particle system using Particle cloud nodes in Vops. I'm just wondering if there is a way to create a divergence free velocity field from the first system and use that to advect the 2nd system with the field instead I've searched high and low and the only info I can find about divergence free fields is about the curl noise node.

Hey,

what am I taking apart, the curl noise? I had a look inside and i can't see exactly what makes it divergence free. I can do this with 3ds max and ember ( a plugin from thinkbox, makers of krakatoa ). , But it is done in an automated way and I have no idea whats going under the hood.

• 3 weeks later...

The pressure projection is what makes a velocity divergence free,

they are the gas project non divergence.

Make an empty field, put your noise into it and then run the pressure projection on it. I think that will do it.

Then you can use the resulting volume to advect shit through.

• 3 months later...

I still haven't succesfully been able to do this. I've found some tutorials that go about this in a more indirect way. Using the pyro solver to create a divergence free velocity/ density field from point or geometry normals, then using the advect by volume node. I suspect this is very ineffecient. I'm trying to duplicate this effect in houdini dops, but I don't have the knowledge to build this from scratch. I've watched the "building fluid solver from scratch flip videos" but still can't figured it out. is very simple and straight forward in 3ds max ember.

( 1 particle system converted to divergence free velocity field then used to advect another )

pretty please help

:wacko: - I made a quick example for you.Maybe it will help you to achive your goal.

1.Create particles.

2.Cache them

3.Create dopnetwork and import particles to dopnet with support of sop solver

4.create empty vel vector field

5.create empty tempvel field (same as vel) which will contain V from particles

6.Gas Particles To Field - V to Temp vel

7.Gas linear combination add temp vel to vel

8.Gas project non divergent (for vel field)

after go to sop level and load vel field from dop to sop and use it in POP through Advect by Volume.

get_non_divergent_vel_from_particles_through_DOP.hip

Edited by Filipp Elizarov

quick question

in the "gaslinearcombination" node . Why are you adding the vel to the tempvel field? the velocity of the particle remains in the field after it has moved on. I tried setting the operation to maximum or average which seems to let the velocities dissipate or be overwritten instead of just adding on top of eachother. Do we have to add the tempvel to vel at all? Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by R_cyph

HI here is nothing strange - vel in current step = vel from previous step + temp vel. (vel = vel+tempvel).I use Houdini everyday at work =) :) Maybe the book Fluid simulation for computer graphics will help you understand it a bit better and practice practice practice from very simple scenes to more complicated.

from that wikipedia article:

And so beginning with the conservation of mass and the constraint that the density within a moving volume of fluid remains constant, it has been shown that an equivalent condition required for incompressible flow is that the divergence of the fluid velocity vanishes.

So the goal of having a divergence free field is an incompressible fluid? That´s cool, but I thought Flip fluids were already incompressible fluids. Why creating those this way?