Possibilities of PyQT?

Annon

I have a bit of time to dig deeper into Python and was wondering if it's worth me having a go at PyQT. As I'm not a pipeline developer I've avoided it so far and just use the default houdini parameters, but if I can extend it to something like the example I've included then I'll have a good look at it.

post-6175-0-60809300-1355239054_thumb.jp

Thanks

Christian

Hmmm, I just haven't seen anything like that done in PyQT before, so not entirely sure it's possible without really coding it, which I don't want to get into.

Basically i'm thinking of making my own light for pbr that only has the kelvin range of colors with a bit of tint (like the image). Maybe I can just use the lookup to color a picker. Something like that anyway... Haven't really put a lot of thought into how I'm actually going to achieve it yet.

I think pyqt is great. The only real downside is the lack of docking in the interface. Your ui will have to float on top of Houdini, so this would never show up with your other parameters.

I played with the qslider and a 'stylesheet' very briefly after seeing this: http://thesmithfam.org/blog/2010/03/10/fancy-qslider-stylesheet/ I was able to get the color on both sides, but the gradient scaled with the handle. Couldn't quite figure out how to get it to be 'static', but that shouldn't be hard to figure out either by adjusting the gradient based on the handle location, or just finding a way to get it to stick. I'm sure it's possible somehow. Other option would probably involve be using qgraphics modules and building it from scratch. Still, with some fiddling it should totally be possible.

Edited by Solitude

PyQt will do as much as you want to learn how to do. Even as far as your own scratch built viewports rendered with OpenGL if you want. Whether or not the time investment is worth it is up to you. For most Houdini users I'd say it's probably not worth it because Houdini's interface tools are sufficient in almost all cases. If you just want to learn it because you want to learn it then go for it because there are many uses for PyQt besides Houdini tools.

• Like 1