Changing displacement in Mantra Surface

Im trying to rip out the guts of the displacement part of the Mantra Shader and add in displacement via a HOT node disp output plugged into the dispOutput 'P' and then a shading normal plugged into the dispOutput 'N' but I am getting no displacement... Is there anything else I need to add/remove for it to work?

Are you plugging it in the input P to the noise?

Noises don't pick up input variables by default. I don't know about HOT though.

Im trying to rip out the guts of the displacement part of the Mantra Shader and add in displacement via a HOT node disp output plugged into the dispOutput 'P' and then a shading normal plugged into the dispOutput 'N' but I am getting no displacement... Is there anything else I need to add/remove for it to work?

No, you don't need anything else. Try to plug the result of P and N to surface color. It's a good way to debug the shader.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a test scene showing my problem (or lack of understanding!!)

If you dive into the mantra surface you will see that I have disconnected the default displacement stuff and have added in a box texture. The thing I dont understand is that the displacement only works when you turn on other the "Enable Displacement Map" or the "Enable Noise" checkbox in the Displacement tab even though I have disconnected this stuff from the network.

customDisplacment_mantraShader.zip

Edited by Jordan Walsh

Do you need it to specifically work within the default mantra shader ? . Funny enough Im working on a HOT job at the moment .Ive bulit an example of HOT just in a pure displacement form at the moment if it will help your understanding I might be able to throw it your way.

Rob East

There's an invisible render parameter "shop_disable_displace_shader" linked to the "enableDispMap".

Go to "Edit Parameter Interface" and turn on the "Show Invisible Parameters"

Render parameters will always override the render settings, that's why the behavior.

Cheers!

Edited by Fabiano Berlim

There's an invisible render parameter "shop_disable_displace_shader" linked to the "enableDispMap".

Go to "Edit Parameter Interface" and turn on the "Show Invisible Parameters"

Render parameters will always override the render settings, that's why the behavior.

Cheers!

Brilliant!

Thanks for that, I hate not understanding some of these little thing... I can turn off the empty displacement map now :D