Ocean Eval Displacement in SHOPs

jujoje

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a scene using the HOT Ocean Eval node in VOPS to create a preview in the viewport, and then linking its parameters to an Ocean Eval node in SHOPs in order to generate matching displacement at render time. I'm having two shading related problems:

1. I can't get the rendered ocean to match the visualisation ocean (they are totally different).
  2. I'm not sure how I'm meant to calculate the normals for the displacement, and suspect I'm setting it up wrong.

I'm using using Christian's version of the HOT for windows (which doesn't have the shader equivalent of the ocean SOP, hence my attempts to get the Ocean Eval node working). I've also tried to get it working on OSX with a similar lack of success.

Pretty sure I'm missing something obvious, but I've been going around in circles on this for a while. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong would be much appreciated. I've attached a basic scene.

Cheers,

Julian

post-3912-0-15311400-1358377745_thumb.jp

displaceOdforce.hipnc

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I'd like to ask you, is it possible to add another Ocean_Eval inside the VOP network?

I looked into "equivalent_geos.hip" and with the shader included is possible to render the exact displacement of the SOP network, but what if I have two oceans in my SOP?

Thanks