Cache Simulation with deadline ?

Doum

Thanks for the help!

there is a deadline submit plugin for houdini ( http://www.thinkboxs...line-5-houdini/ ) I haven't personally used it yet. But you should be able to cache any node by setting up a geometry rop and launch the submit to dealdine command and then specify the rop you want to process.

And what have I to enter in the Geometry Rop SOP path ??? the Import smoke? or the AutoDOPNetwork ?

Here the error I'm getting if you have anyIdea what it could be...

RenderPluginException -- Exception during render: An error occurred in RenderTasks(): Error: Caught exception: [' File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.33/houdini/python2.6libs\\hou.py", line 27556, in render\n return _hou.RopNode_render(*args, **kwargs)\n', 'OperationFailed: The attempted operation failed.\nError: Cook error in input: .\n']

at Deadline.Plugins.ScriptPlugin.RenderTasks(Int32 startFrame, Int32 endFrame, String& outMessage)[/CODE]

I wonder if the houdini plugin for deadline can only process image rendering rop's (mantra node, etc). Ideally, you would make a geometry ROP and set it's sop path to the node you want to cache (could be any node that you want to cache out, in your case point it to import smoke). And then set the output file path. And lastly you would run the submit to deadline command and choose the geometry rop you created as the node you want to render. You may also want to check that deadline knows which version of houdini you have and where to find the houdini executable. Just launch deadline monitor and go into super user mode and configure plugins. The plugins dialog in deadline displays all supported applications and paths to where they are located on your system.

The deadline houdini render script has a few logic errors when it comes to using it for simulations unfortunately... Rather than let the rop deal with the frame range it loops over the frame range calling render on the rop each frame... this will result in simming frame 1, then frame 1-2, then frame 1-3 then frame 1-4... etc. Not very wise..

I had to rewrite the hrender_dl.py and build my own submission nodes.

I believe xTools has some dealine submission stuff but havent tried it.

• 11 months later...

Hey Jordo, i am in Iloura now digging in your rewritten hrender_dl.py. lets see if i can make it behave. 

I have that same error that Doum is having and have found that I can't do a few key things. I don't know how much this is deadline's code and how much is you code, I expect you only made it better than it was.

i can't have geo rops use takes because there is some script that changes the pre and post frame scripts.

for some reason i can have linked parameters for the path of the bgeo out path that stops it working too.

this will eventually work, not before sucking up way too much time.

• 1 year later...

Bringing up an old topic on the offchance that Jordan may be able to answer this question.

I'm coming up against a wall because of Deadline's logic errors.  I can't get my Houdini sim's to run on our farm with Deadline 7.  Jordan is there any chance you'd consider releasing your re-written hrender_dl.py and submission nodes to the public?

Sorry, I dont work at Iloura anymore, and I'm not using deadline... so I dont have access to the scripts. I think it was a pretty simple modification to get the sims working. can you post the original hrender_dl.py file/contents and I should be able to fix it

Hi all,

I'd like to jump on this resurrected topic... Having exactly the same issue/error in Deadline 7 as you Doum/Derm!

Did you get anywhere with the updated script?

I've tried every iteration of check-box trickery I can think of, still at a brick wall though :/

Thanks in advance! :)

Edited by tomwyn

• 8 months later...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xzgfxqrdu1m3rn1/hrender_dl.py?dl=0

There is the Houdini script. I'm having the same issues. It "sort of" works if you explicitly cache sim files so it doesn't need to resim everything up until the current frame being rendered, but gets messed up when rendering on more than one slave.

when you say it gets messed up when rendering on more than one slave, what do you mean?

proper workflow for deadline in houdini is this:

sims get cached to disk with a geometry rop on a single machine with a single task in the job (ie, frames per task is larger than the total frames to compute).

heavy geo is loaded with delayload procedurals (or the new packed disk primitive stuff in 15)

renders are submitted to write ifd's with one task and then a dependent mantra task is run to actually render them

i believe the stock deadline houdini scripts are all well behaved at this point, tho maybe things broke in 7 (still on 6 myself).

The deadline houdini render script has a few logic errors when it comes to using it for simulations unfortunately... Rather than let the rop deal with the frame range it loops over the frame range calling render on the rop each frame... this will result in simming frame 1, then frame 1-2, then frame 1-3 then frame 1-4... etc. Not very wise..

Basically that. It seems you are unable distribute a sim over multiple nodes which is what I was hoping to be able to do.

the issue isn't with deadline's logic, it's just the nature of sims.  you have to sim in one go.  deadline 7 *does* support hqueue, tho.  so if you have hqueue set up, you could probably slice your sim to run concurrently on multiple machines.