Particle kill not instant

Rikrok

If you create an emitter (location/source) and append a kill, why do particles exist for an instant before being killed? Surely you should never see any at all?

In case you're wondering why it matters- I need certain particles (A) to birth other particles ( B ) but ultimately have (A) deleted. I have geometry copied to them, and (A) annoyingly gets geometry copied to it for a frame before that kill takes it out. I'm getting around the problem by using an add sop to turn the particles into points and then deleting (A), but it seems a strange thing to have to do.

Edited by Rikrok

Can't do a test right now, but you could put the (A) particles inside a bornGroup keeping it even after the particles are after the born phase, and then delete the group in SOPs after your popnet, just off the top of my head it should work

that's how POPs work

Kill POP just sets particle pstate as dying so it will be removed for next frame if reaping is not suppressed

so you need to delete all dying after POPs as you are doing to not have them in current frame either

Thanks, though that's what I'm doing already. I'm just wondering why I need to, why the kill isn't instant.

Particles are cleared once the life attribute reaches the maximum life. The Kill POP marks the particle for deletion, it doesn't exactly erase the particle.

Think of it this way: a particle is initialized, with maximum life 2 seconds and age 0. You naturally think that at frame 48 the particle will be killed and erased, but at the beginning of frame the particle's age wasn't updated yet. Only after all the updates have been done (velocity, position, age, etc) that the particle can be marked for deletion, which should happen on the following frame.

If you're experiencing something different than that we need to look at your file, but that's what my experience tells.

Hope it makes sense...

Cheers

Edited by rafaelfs