Caching Detailed Volume Source to decrease total sim time.

tricecold

I am working on a scene, where there is a small explosion for a major feature movie coming soon, a flash and followed by debri driven dust, I have a lot of small debri. I am currently trying to switch to Houdini, so I decided to pull this one on Houdini rather than Maya where I would have been comfortable.

I got the debri approved , so I moved on to the next step.

I got good results using some of my debri as volume source but when I check the scene with performance monitor, it seems like 60 to 70 percent of my sim time is going for fluid source node calculation.

Then I came accross with this note in the documents...

http://www.sidefx.co.../fluid_sourcing

• If you are sourcing from SOPs, you should cache the sources before running the simulation, especially when the source volume is high resolution. Caching ensures the SOP chain doesn’t re-cook every frame.
    Static SOP sources without noise don’t need to be cached, since they are only computed once.

So I tried plugin a file note right after fluid source node, switched off the brain, and wrote out some bgeos, and compared the resulted bgeos with Fluid Source node, and I got the density and velocity fields same...

then in my DOP Volume Source changed the Volume path to the new File Node...

But it doesnt work, The sim runs like as if this node is not connected....

Am I skipping something... I cannot attach the scene file nor have time to make basic one, but I hope I explained the situation clear enough..

Thanks in advance.

I think maybe the problem in your file node - Read and Write menu.The best way - ROP output driver for cache your bgeos to disk and use it after through the file node.

That was the problem, ROP Output driver cached bgeo now works as expected when imported to DOP network. Thanks a lot, althou I would really appriciate the difference, because from middle mmouse click, it seems like an identical file.

Edited by tricecold