Z Depth Pass in Mantra

Hello Everyone,

Here is another problem I went through that I think it could be a bug or the problem is within me. I've tried a lot to render out Pz pass and instead I am just getting the alpha channel. I've tried almost all file formats, except it worked with PIC format once I imported in img network, but then again I tried to render out from there to bring the files to NUKE, and I was still just getting alpha channel. Any ideas?

Will appreciate your comments and suggestions in advance.

The depth channel often looks like a solid white matte because it contains the actual depth values, sometimes in the tens or hundreds of units. As white is 1.0, you end up with matte that ends up looking solid white, when in fact all the image variation is >1.0. Load the file in mplay and press Shift+R to adapt to the full range of the image. Also make sure you render Pz to an image format that supports HDR (tiff or exr for Nuke).

It actually loads up the depth channel as exactly it supposed to be in Mplay, but then again when I render out (tiff or exr) I was getting solid white matte in Nuke, I even checked the matte in Nuke and it was solid 1 with no variation. Am I suppose to do any adjustment in parameters before rendering out from Mplay or the default should do the trick? I just changed the C channel to Pz and render out in exr and tiff format.

And thank you!