Houdini lag on Mint 13

Neil78

Hi - anyone out there noticing weird lag with houdini on mint 13 cinnamon.

It happens in the network view - i think it might be cinnamon lagging and not houdini.

I just wondered if anyone out there knew how to fix.

Thanks

Although I love cinnamon styles, I had to give up on it due to general lag and instability. On my computers XFCE always had the best performance.

*edit

I'm sorry, now I saw that you mentioned Mint. I also see many people complaining abut the latest Mint versions. I have tried v12 or 13 and removed it less than a week later.

Edited by Andz

I use Cinnamon in Linux Mint 13 and have not had any issues. Have you enabled the Backported packages so that you get the latest updates they made to Cinnamon for the Linux Mint 14 release?

Cheers Erik - good idea - the backport seems to have worked really well. Im really glad Mint is developed so well - i really like cinnamon.

Although I love cinnamon styles, I had to give up on it due to general lag and instability. On my computers XFCE always had the best performance.

Yes i had a quick look at mint 14 XFCE - really nice and simple - good to knwo as backup for cinnamon -

Thansk for the help

• 1 year later...

SOLUTION:

By default Mint is using nouveau instead of the nvidia driver. Go to MENU/System Settings/ and scroll down to the area where the Administration tools are (Menu/system Settings/Administration/Device Drivers. On the "Device Driver" you should see that Nouveau is selected by default and Nvidia drivers are on the top (nvidia-319). You have to select the recommended nvidia driver. Restart your machine and DONE!. Houdini will work beautifully.

Thanks Asegura, that was a while back and i figured it all out.

i'm on Mint 15 XFCE right now and Houdini rocks on it. Looking forward to trying the next big release soon.