How do I bake a projection to a texture file?

Could anyone tell me how I can take a UV'd object that has a material applied with a camera projection and bake that to a 2d texture file using the UV space of the object?

(similar to Maya's "Lighting/Rendering->Batch Bake (mental ray)" menu option)

Many thanks!

if you just want to bake out textures based on the UV then you can use Mantra -> Render -> UV Render Object.

UV Render object

The name of the object to be rendered in UV space. Mantra is able to render an object in UV space rather than 3D space. Only one object may be rendered in UV space.

Still can't seem to quite get it to work how I want. Just to clarify I want to project a texture onto an object. Then give it some completely different uv's to the uvs that you get from camera projecting onto an object. Then bake out the texture as it was projected onto the object into the new UV layout.

I have attached a scene to try and illustrate what I mean.

Thanks,

Tom

bakeProjectionToNewUVs_v01.hip

I think your workflow is the correct one. Note that you can use an uvlayer ("layer" sop, set layer to 2), after the material1, then just append an uvunwrap, easier and cleaner.

Edited by gui

Alternatively you may project a texture from a light, possibly surface shader with an additional illuminance() loop is required.

More generally, you may project uv from a light during render time (if for any reason you don't want to touch geometry). Albeit more involving this method introduces new possibilities. Take also a look on LayerSOP as it simplifies work with uvs sets. The attached example contains second take, which overwrites an object material, and that's pretty much it.

hth,

skk.

bakeProjectionToNewUVs_skk.hip