Ocean evaluate - render issues

Hi there!

I was hoping someone on here could help me out with a very annoying problem. Basically Ive got an ocean set up using the ocean evaluate and spectrum nodes. Ive got my lighting set up and all my render settings(PBR)

Problem is when I start rendering, the render fails occasionaly on random frames. Lets say maybe 30% of the frames fail. It will render 20-90% of the image and then shutdown the render. Im using our renderfarm, but have of course tried rendering locally also, to see if that fixes the problem, but no cigar.

I thought it must be a memory problem(roughly 4 million vertices) so I tried using delayed load, but that didnt help either.

Ive run out of ideas and really need this to render.

Has anyone had the same problem or got any ideas how to solve this? Help would be very much appreciated.

Ill upload the scene if anyone wants to have a look at it.

PS... frame 7 is an example of a frame that wont finish rendering on my computer, so if anyone tests my scene, thats a good frame to go with :)

Thanks

Erik

ocean_evaluate_sc100_sh010_test.hip

• 4 weeks later...

I dont know if this would help, But I had the same problem, I sort of figured it out but I dont still know why.

My ocean would render without shader but once i plug the shader and turned on refraction, at some random time it would stop rendering.

I then checked back to my older scene, and figured it was about the ocean mesh size. So in my case, i can render only if the mesh is max 100*100 houdini units. anything bigger mantra crashes and returns segmentation fault. However, i know do my ocean by using several patches of ocean with each having own ocean deformer, and that seems to be working, since ocean deformer works in worldspace, my deofrmations are continoues as long as i have the same settings inside ocean spectrum

Hello,

I tried to render frame 7 , mantra crashed .

Then I deactivated the noise displacement. it rendered fine. I reactivated noise diplacement and changed the noise type to Perlin Noise.

It seems to render fine ( at least frame 7 ) ... Maybe it can help

• 2 weeks later...

I might have solved mine, Try turning on ray predicing, on the geometry node you use for rendering this solved my issues, I still get some fails but mostly problem seems to be fixed. I dont know how , so if some one shed light into this, I would be very gratefull

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...