Why does DOPs halt at frame one?

kleer001

Recently in working on the look of a fire effect I was frustrated by the constant pausing when I rewound the sim or when I would change a parameter at the first frame. The whole of Houdini would halt for a good two minutes as it rebuilt the sim for about 2 million voxels.

Is there any way to put this part of the simulation off until I go a frame forward? It seems to me like something that dearly needs a delayed load type process. Or it seems like I'm missing something essential.

The only work arounds I've found were to switch to Manual updates before I changed anything, and even if I have the sim start at frame 2 while the first frame that I rewound to was frame 1 I still got the same serious lag.

That's your domain, it takes the scale and position that you have set on frame one, so it's going to be the biggest it's going to be. Then on frame two the "resizeFieldsDynamic" node will resize the domain based on density by default. So your first will always be longer. Try making your domain size to the smallest it's going to need to be to speed up that frame generation.