Render pop

alexongaro

Hi all,

I'm quite new to houdini and I'm playing with POP.

Now I have this problem, I append a render POP in my network and then

source the pop in the SOP network.

When I render, I always see my particle as sphere at the same size, I can't change the size nor the render as (in the render pop).

Thanks,

-alexongaro

The size of the particles are controlled by the Render POP so to increase or decrease the size, that's a good place to start.

If you want to control the size of the particles over time or their lifespan, you can use the Property POP. Under the Misc tab, turn on Scale & type in $LIFE*2 as an example. If you use the Property POP, the Render POP will pick up the scale of the particles so you don't have to do anything to the Particle Size parameter.

A simple network to test:

Location POP - defaults except Life Expectancy is 5

<-> then append a <->

Property POP - Misc tab, turn on Scale & type $LIFE*5

<-> then append a <->

Render POP - defaults or change the Particle Type to Render as disks

There are legacy POPs tutorials at SESI's Community website which I would recommend to anyone who wants to learn POPs.

I hope the above helps!

Cheers!

steven

Ahhh....

When using POPs, it's a very good habit to go back to frame 1(or starting frame) to make sure the POPs network is updated.

You can use the 'Initialize simulation SOPs' button in the ROP to make sure the particles are updated when (test)rendering.

Cheers!

steven

OK, sorry for bothering you, but now I have another question.

At works I've always seen my co-workers using houdini (4.0) and I've played a bit with it in the past (I'm a maya user....).

Now I'm really enjoying the new release and as I'm on holiday I'm going through tutorial both on the apprentice cd and sidefx site.

In the new release ther's no more the material, and I was wondering how to reproduce the jobs done in the past without coding VEX shaders or using VOP's.

For example I've seen a lot the use of the dent and erosion TOP, and I can't find a good way to achieve good smoke or fire effects with new release.

With i3d you can get fantastic volumetric effects but at the cost of expensive rendering.

What do you suggest?

-alexongaro

To have access to MOPs, TOPs & COPv1, do the following & they'll show up in Houdini 5.5.

setenv HOUDINI_COPTOPMAT 1

Go to My Computer -> Properties, then Advanced Tab & click on Environment Variables

In the Environment Variables dialog, click New... under System variables. Type HOUDINI_COPTOPMAT into Variable Name parameter & 1 into Variable Value parameter. Click Ok all the way to the desktop.

Now start a new Houdini session & have fun! :D

Cheers!

steven