random subdivision and distance based subdivision.

misterbil

Hi All,

I'm trying to do 2 things but I think they are about the same.

1) trying to subdivide or better copy a bunch of cubes to form the following pattern:

cube01.jpg

I would like then to turn it into a glue rdb afterward.

But first I need to get to this..

I tried to follow 2 different tutorials, Peter Quin discovery title sequence and SideFX own lego type boxelizer.

But I think I need to get an hybrid between the 2.

I think that my problem is that I need to group each copy and use it as new boundary or something like that.

2) Based on the same idea, I would like to try to get the cube to be divided like this (here is a sliced view).

cube02.jpg

And again I would like to turn it into an rdb object later on.

I attached my first attempt. I'm trying first to apply a random color to each primitive, but for whatever reason, it's applied to each faces... not the entire cube... I know I'm doing something wrong.

There are 2 "primitive" SOP in the scene, they are doing the same thing, I was just trying to see if I could color them using the stamp expression (before the copy SOP), or after...

Any help, suggestion, comment, ihint or random string of words woul dbe greatly appreciate.

Thanks.

bil

random_cubeDivision.hipnc

Edited by misterbil
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot guys,

Orr, very interesting set up I'll dig in it a little more tomorrow.

Marty, this set up look very robust and I like the simplicity of it. Beautiful! Thanks for adding the random colors and the rdb.

Based on these I'll try the distance based one.

houdini for the win!

bil

thanks again for your reply gentelmen,

I finally got the time to look into both scenes in more details.

Orr, I got confused a little by your scene as you kind of have two different network at sop level, doing the same thing but differently.

Very interesting though (As is your work by the way, impressive stuff), you also used some function that I hadn't heard of before.

the "detail" function ... I couldn't figure out what it really does?

by the way should I used one network instead of the other?

But your set up is very well build for OTL, very technical too.

Marty, again thank you so much for making it so clear and colorful. I also learned a lot about new nodes, "assemble", "match size" and "vertex". all very easy to understand for a noob like me :)

thanks

Guest mantragora

the "detail" function ... I couldn't figure out what it really does?

Alt+Shift+T and write:

exhelp detail

Enter.

Get yourself familiar with using textport or with http://www.sidefx.co...houdini12.5/expressions/

EDIT: Something is broken with links because it breaks them when I'm trying to attach them. Just Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V the whole link address yourself.

Edited by mantragora

• 2 weeks later...

Here are two test that I'm working on but can't seem to get working. I based my tests from Orr example as it allowed me more random/procedural approach.

-the first one is just trying to get the cubes to fall apart randomly. I'm deleting the glue bound using a bunch of point (from a points to volume sop ).

My problem is that my glue bound don't stay deleted!

-the second one is trying to set the division based on distance. I'm using a bounding box to set up the area of division.

any help with a bit of explanation would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

b

random_cubeDivision_glue.hipnc

distance_cubeDivision.hipnc

• 7 years later...