Python - Issues building file from a template

TheAdmira1

Hello all,

So I'm building a "shot launcher' for my studio in Python.

The tool pops up a GUI, asks the artist for show, seq, shot, application, the plate, and some other info for naming and padding. The tool then builds a name for the file, reads in a template, edits necessary info, writes out the new file, and finally opens the file within the selected program.

This works great for Nuke, Maya, AE, and Syntheyes. However, when I edit the Ascii file for Houdini and then open it, I get an "Invalid .hip Header" warning, and the file fails to load. I have gone through the file created, and the template it was sourced from. The formatting all seems to be correct, but I notice that there are a ton of what I assume are generated sequences from when the template file was saved.

Is there a way to make editing and launching an Ascii file for Houdini work? Are the numbers/sequences I see throughout the file generated only for the original filename and destination?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

.hip files are not pure ASCII. They are actually ASCII "packets" within a cpio format file. There are some provided command line tools to expand and collapse .hip files if you want to do some very low-level surgery. Personally, I would just load up hython with your .hip file, do whatever operation you want and then save it back out again.

Is there a location online to see all of the modules present in Hython? I can find everything for the hou module just fine, but things like objecttoolutils and such are not documented on SideFX's site as far as I can tell. Sadly I do not have el googs at work :(

I can pull them up via the interactive help in the commandline, but I was hoping for something a bit easier to parse and move around in.

TIA!

Sadly there is no proper documentation for these modules. I would suggest filing an RFE with SESI to provide automatic documention similar to Sphinx or the HDK docs for all their custom Python modules. I've got one in there somewhere.