How to get Large scale foamy waves?

pbarua

My deadline is very tight and client want big foamy waves like DNB bank TV Commercial. Which is the best way to get that kind of effect, Ocean shelf tool to simulate wave or wave tank shelf tool?

If I use Ocean tool then how to get foam out of it?

Pls check attached reference images from DNB Bank TVC.

Foam Ref..zip

I'm trying to get the same effect as you, Pradeep. Big swells, with smaller detail waves. I'm trying to avoid FLIP sims for time reasons, and sims with that scale waves are hard to manage.

Right now I'm linking up several oceanevaluate and oceanspectrum waves using varying values for large, medium, and fine waves. That gets the wave look that I want, but the trouble is that the Surface SDF doesn't trickle down through the nodes so the collision with the whitewater sim doesn't line up. i.e the Surface only matches up with one of the oceanevaluate nodes, not the combined chain. I'm sure there's some vopsop magic that can be done but so far I haven't been able to figure it out. Anyone have any suggestions?

I would stick to the ocean spectrum / evaluate nodes. I would only go for flip for big splashes and the like. Paul has it right -- you can use a surface sdf to stick foam particles to. If you're using a combined chain of ocean nodes, For simplicity I would probably just create a new surface sdf after you get the ocean surface you want. Otherwise in a vop (in my head this works) you can volume sample each volume, adding to the pos in the same way that you are currently building up your surface. ... then after that use a ray sop to fill in any accuracy gaps. For foam and spray, I would emit particles (or pyro for mist) based off the cusp attribute, and you can also use a solver sop to have the cusp fade over time, essentially creating foam.

Also, the full video for anybody interested. I know a guy who worked on it, said they used HOT + flip

Thanks Ian. I was trying the volume sample -> adding values together method but it wasn't quite matching up. Thought maybe the ocean spectrum nodes had some extra math going on besides straight addition, though I may just be missing something simple. Will keep bashing nodes together...

I'm trying to get the same effect as you, Pradeep. Big swells, with smaller detail waves. I'm trying to avoid FLIP sims for time reasons, and sims with that scale waves are hard to manage.

Right now I'm linking up several oceanevaluate and oceanspectrum waves using varying values for large, medium, and fine waves. That gets the wave look that I want, but the trouble is that the Surface SDF doesn't trickle down through the nodes so the collision with the whitewater sim doesn't line up. i.e the Surface only matches up with one of the oceanevaluate nodes, not the combined chain. I'm sure there's some vopsop magic that can be done but so far I haven't been able to figure it out. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hi I am also working on an asset of sea, mostly non interactive, but will have to blend some kind of flip for establishing shots of the ship. It is not as stormy as the example above, I uploaded a frame , done it with 3 zones, and each zone has 2 deformers one detail one med waves, then all got deformed with a final deformer.

I thought i can use my medium and fine deformers to use with whitewater shelf then got the result deformed again with my final deformer.

Does this sound like a reasonable way ?

post-3955-0-24665400-1369903295_thumb.jp

post-3955-0-57472800-1369903307_thumb.jp

• 10 months later...

I would stick to the ocean spectrum / evaluate nodes. I would only go for flip for big splashes and the like. Paul has it right -- you can use a surface sdf to stick foam particles to. If you're using a combined chain of ocean nodes, For simplicity I would probably just create a new surface sdf after you get the ocean surface you want. Otherwise in a vop (in my head this works) you can volume sample each volume, adding to the pos in the same way that you are currently building up your surface. ... then after that use a ray sop to fill in any accuracy gaps. For foam and spray, I would emit particles (or pyro for mist) based off the cusp attribute, and you can also use a solver sop to have the cusp fade over time, essentially creating foam.

Also, the full video for anybody interested. I know a guy who worked on it, said they used HOT + flip

Hi , a bit late coming here, I was reading your solution, and tried to get it working in the scene I have, without success yet. is it possible you kindly share a hip sample, thanks  

Hi , a bit late coming here, I was reading your solution, and tried to get it working in the scene I have, without success yet. is it possible you kindly share a hip sample, thanks