command line cache .sim

Guest mantragora

I did notice though, that by using the file dop, or explicit cache on the dopnet, and writing over the same file in the dynamics rop, it only writes the temp .sim file every frame, not every substep. So I guess that's a little better than what I originally thought.

I think I get 24 substep files at each frame, so maybe you have to set frame end in range on ROP to $FEND *24, or something like that. Have to check each substep.

Guest mantragora

Hm... Ok, it looks that there is no way thru ROP, it will skip substeps. Only Explicit or fileDOP option stays. Or maybe you could write your own ROP with HDK :). Anyway, do you really need to do this thru ROP?

Guest mantragora
So it still seems to be writing two .sim files to disk at once.

There may be solution for this. Lets get back to fileDOP set to "Write" and set "Inc" parm in ROP frame range to your simulation (end frame - 1), that way ROP will skip all the frames and save two times only first frame (and probably last), while fileDOP will still save all the substeps because it will save each cook of the simulation. Better 1-2 additional ROP saves (first-last frame) than 100 ;).

EDIT: It seems to work. Check the file.

simExample.zip

Edited by mantragora

yes, this works just fine for my needs. It works great without the file dop, and just explicit cache turned on and set on the dopnet, and when I reopen the scene everything is good and loaded.

Thank You very much, I know this seemed strange, but it will be very helpful for me.