They came... In Peace! - Final Year Project

J.Santos

Hi all!

So, in these pages to come, I will post my daily/weekly/whenever I have something to show or ask achievments while trying to finish my Masters Project, aptly named "They came... In Peace" since it is... well, a very clichéd sci-fi alien invasion, drinking in inspiration from the movies and books from the 60's and so forth (and sometimes older periods as well...)

Needless to say, the entire project will be done in Houdini and Nuke. Whenever I find something interesting I'll post how I achieved it but believe me many times I'll be asking! ;)

These are the 2 images from my "Storyboard"... the other images aren't fx images so no need to post them!

Shot03_AlienMovingSmall.jpgCorfeCastle_04_Numb_StoryboardBetterSMALL.jpg

The 1st image isn't mine however I cannot remember from where I took it. If anyone happens to know please do tell me because I would like to credit everyone!

As soon as I upload the video with the rough animatic I'll post it here.

So, fasten the seatbelts and let the invasion begin!!!

Hi Hudson!

Thanks man!

As soon as I have some stuff, like tests and what not I'll be posting.

Cheers!

PS - I just set up a blog with the project so I can keep as a record of the weeks and work involved in it! You can find it here!

Edited by J.Santos

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again!

So, after some days modelling and then going crazy with rigs and what not, here's my work so far... the tripod machines and a Tomahawk inspired missile that will detonate harmlessly in a force field (oohhhh). The design/model was kept to a minimum, the objective is for it to be simple, the main focus will be the effects...

I'm now looking into textures and stuff like that... So far I have the tripod uv mapped and started doing a sort of camouflage pattern that I'll apply to the overall machine and then will use Photoshop to paint the rest of the details, like wear, some text (alien language, of course) and so on...

The next images are some low quality renders and my rig.

I'll post very soon on the "general questions..." area about the shield and my ideas and issues with it!

See ya!

tripod_01.jpgtripod_02.jpgtripod_03_Rig.jpgmissile_01.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all!

Below you'll find my Robot (Tripod with six legs??? Nope, Hexapode!) with the procedural shader - camouflage - and then with the painted stuff (small details, scratches and so on) applied.

Sinxce the robots will not be "that close" I think this amount of small details will be enough... anyway, the clock is ticking and I need to do a ton more stuff!

Sorry for the (very dark) images... I'll upload some better ones as soon as possible!

shader_only.jpg

Shader only

shader_and_painted.jpg

painted details

Hi guys!

Here's a quick mock-up/storyboard on how I want the 1st shot to look like (just a part of it, the other part is still in the making...) and a video with a "walk cycle" (if I can call it that!). I'm no rigger or animator and don't wish to be, I just want to do it in a way that will allow me to move forward into the effects I wish to create! Anyway, the time I allocated to this part of the project is coming up and I'll have to leave it by the end of the week... any comments 'til there will be met, as best as possible! :)

Enjoy!

shot_01_refineryref.jpg

http://vimeo.com/69192688

Edited by J.Santos

• 3 weeks later...

Ufff....

After a long time, with lot's of hardware issues (that I later found out were being made worst by the OS I was using), here's a rough slap comp of the 2nd shot... lot's of stuff missing from it yet, like smoke in both bits, and almost everything in the first building...

Anyway, enjoy and comment please!

http://vimeo.com/70319558

Edited by J.Santos

Hi again!

So, some days later and some stuff added, other redone or simply added to the network in different palces and... new slap comp! I called it... slap comp v002!!! ;)

Jokes aside, this one has all the stuff (almost all ;) ) that I want to have on my final result. Just don't expect nothing amazing in terms of comp and even some of the smoke is still in the making (still churning out a new set of bgeo's!).

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it and stay tunned for the next posts!!!

http://vimeo.com/70728703

• 4 weeks later...

Ok...

So, this is NOT the final thing... however, this is what I delivered to the teachers, due to time constraints and so on... I'll resume work on it shortly to post the (really) final version of it, which will have an extra scene at the beginning and will have the other 2 scenes cut, in order to get rid of the amazing (I'm being really really sarcastic) animation on it... and will probably add one extra RBD thing on the last scene... I'll also have to re-sim the pyro stuff, so this will take a bit of time but... it shall be done! ;)

Anyway, I hope you enjoy what I have to show so far and any comments will be put to good use!

Cheers

http://vimeo.com/72585372