Using biased techniques for GI (the older way)

Hi all,

I've been trying to reduce render times in mantra 12.5 as much as possible without caring for physical correctness. PBR does give really good results at around 20-30 minutes per frame, but i was hoping to find a solution that would give render times of perhaps 4-5 minutes maximum.

I noticed that GI light works only when BSDFs are connected to the shading networks. I wanted to know if it was possible to get GI working with shaders that implement illuminance loops etc (the old style) without having to use physically correct shading.

What would be the workflow in mantra for this kind of rendering? Does it require having to code custom light shaders that would write out or look up a point cloud and get the illuminance from them? If so, what would be the procedure to do that?

I'm completely clueless about this one and shooting arrows in the dark at the moment. Any direction would be really helpful.

Edited by Ankit Pruthi

I've attached a simple file here. It contains a skylight, portal geometry, and a box with cutouts. The gilight in the scene generates the photon maps (distance threshold is set to 0 to force it to use only photons).

I hope this is the kind of example you were looking for.

lightCacheTest.hip

Edited by Ankit Pruthi