MSVCDir for VC 2012

Hey guys,

I set MSVCDir to the following two locations, but it does not work. Where is the correct location?

Thanks

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\Tools

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE

Guest mantragora

There are couple topics on StackOverflow that mentions possibility to use VS2012 with older compilers that are shipped with WindowsSDK, but I think you may have a better chance of going with free VisualStudio2008 Express and using WindowsSDK (also free) to install 64-bit compiler, if you don't own full VS2008.

Edited by mantragora
  • Like 1

Neither, for two reasons:

1. You must use VS 2008 for Houdini 12.5

2. It needs to be the "VC" subdirectory

Edward when are you guys gonna move to VS2012? :) Not sure if you are eager to use the latest tools, but I was happy when our shared game engine and editor was upgraded to VS2012. Although for general art tools, I always had the freedom to use whatever as I was the owner, which was why I was using VS2012 as soon as it came out.

Edward when are you guys gonna move to VS2012? :) Not sure if you are eager to use the latest tools, but I was happy when our shared game engine and editor was upgraded to VS2012. Although for general art tools, I always had the freedom to use whatever as I was the owner, which was why I was using VS2012 as soon as it came out.

Also C++11 some features are just convenient.

• Like 1

On a personal note, I'd love to move to VS2012. However, there's still a lot of work to be done before that can happen. The bulk of the work is actually upgrading the build systems of all the third party dependencies that Houdini uses. Personally, I haven't found a single VS2008 project that upgraded successfully to VS2012 without tweaks.

• Like 1