Modulate CHOP

breadbox

Is there a way to modulate the phase or period of a wave channel?

I would like to possibly control this with a second waveform. so when waveB is at 0 the period of waveA is squashed and when the waveB is at 1 the period of waveA is stretched.

something like the attached image.

or this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modulation

post-5696-0-64224600-1372000661_thumb.pn

Is there a way to modulate the phase or period of a wave channel?

I would like to possibly control this with a second waveform. so when waveB is at 0 the period of waveA is squashed and when the waveB is at 1 the period of waveA is stretched.

something like the attached image.

or this:

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Modulation

You can also use the warp SHOP with a custom channel to drive the change in period.

• 1 month later...

Thanks, I'm finally digging back into this. I think both these options could work, however I am leaning towards Oscillator because it accepts multiple channel input for the modulation curve which I will need at some point.

both these methods seem really un-intuitive to control. I wonder if there is an example that serves to show this effect in use well?

It seems that I am having problems with the in/out points on the chops as it creates flat areas before it loops the animation from the oscillator out. This seems to be related to the original curve length, but how would I create a more seamless loop instead of creating a really long time range?

post-5696-0-15272800-1374991813_thumb.pn

BW_Warp2 - Copy.hipnc

Change the wave_pulse5 "extend right" parameter to the "cycle" setting.

thank you. but why?

I have always been a bit confused as to the chops time line. I'm assuming that I did not give the original pulse channel enough frames, so after the modulate it "ran out" of data to process. however the confusing part is that it flatlined for a bit, and then it appeared to loop. which is confusing why?

the other major problem now is using the oscillator it takes on the names of the warp/modulation input. so for instead of tx0, ty0, tz0, I have noise0, noise1, noise2.

Is there some easy way to rename everything so that its back to the original channel names? here is a before and after screenshot. the noise channels are not in order.

opps sorry premature post. using the right plug on the rename I can string the original names in. all good!

post-5696-0-53960400-1375047359_thumb.pn

post-5696-0-96315900-1375047367_thumb.pn

Edited by breadbox

I'm not sure about why it zeros out, and shows a gap. It works if you use the cycle, of if you use "use full animation range". That points to the problem being associated with the -200 value in "start" and the expression for the "end". It's looks like an an odd set-up. Do you need it that way?

Glad to hear you got the rename working for you.

its definately odd... :/

I had it that way because there were some delay CHOPS that were causing some abnormality because they did not have a value to shift before zero. I should look again at extendLeft extendRight, that might solve all the issues across the board. lets hope.

its confusing stuff. its not like any other animation package I have ever experienced I have no point of reference.

It's a fun challenge. I'm just learning myself. The help cards are worth reading so you know the full power of each node you're using. I'm trying to work more with math in a VOPCHOP where I have more control over the waves.

I haven't even herd of VOPCHOPS. that might aid in some things Im trying to work on.

here are some examples of the system Im creating.

https://vimeo.com/69005148

this one is VOPPOP but trying to create a simmilar look

https://vimeo.com/69015930

there is benefits to both approaches. there is slightly more control over the corners with CHOPS. but its a much more difficult system to work on.

one thing about Oscillator is that if the source (third input) has 6 waves, and the modulate (first input) only has 3 it will only output 3 channels instead of re-using and outputting all 6. the inputs on this node seem backwards to me. With warp its more logical, yet you can only use one warp curve which is limiting.

I'm hitting some major ram overhead if I want to create 2000 + warp channels for the oscillator. Id like to re-use but I cant figure out how to. Maybe I can use a copy or a duplicate chop somehow to create one noise curve and have it output 2000 without a huge processing hit?

Cool stuff.

I don't know the exact method, but I'm sure you could use a "fore" node in a VOP to do multiple iterations to vary a channel. This should not require that many channels. I'm guessing your final solution will involve several contexts, using CHOPS, POPS, and copy sops. Any manipulations coded in VOPS/VEX or in the point wrangle will be faster and less expensive.