RenderSOP not working properly on Linux

Hello,

I'm new here and new to 3d graphics in general. So I've taking the daunting task of learning 3d with houdini!

My problem is I want to render in the viewport so I hit: tab->Render.

If I draw a box around my object, nothing happens. I turned off fast ifd and still nothing.

I am however able to launch mantra in the mplay window. I just does not work in my viewport.

Another wierd thing I noticed with the above is that, with default driver, I get nothing. If I change the driver to fast_mantra or mantra_sel, it renders but the rendered image in the viewport is offsetted and I only see the top half of the image rendered in the lower part of my box selection. Does make sense no?

I'm using gentoo linux kernel 2.6.5

Houdini Appren 6.1

dual monitors

PS I tried to reproduce the above on windows and could not, everything works as it should on windows. Of course windows is just slower.

Also if anyone know how to make houdini open on 1 monitor, me appreciate help. Right now houdini opens on both monitors on launch and me have to resize every bloody time.

TIA

Hmm ... maybe you could try installing the 6.5 beta to see if the problem still occurs. The dual monitor thing I know has been fixed in 6.5.

PS. Oh, and if it doesn't then you could post a bug in the 6.5 beta forum :)

Hello,

Thank you Edward for reply. Some vodoo magic happen with houdini now. I installed 6.5 and render problem automagically go away poof. Now I can render in viewport with both 6.5 and 6.1!!! Houdini is true magician :)

Dual monitor problem still exists on both 6.1 and 6.5? You say it is fixed but maybe not fixed in public build? I'm using houdini-6.5.40-linux_rh7.3.

I search sesi forums site but no find fix from anyone?

Thank you for your help.

Arrgghh I speak too soon. Magic not working. I can not render again in 6.5/6.1.

Ok I go setup account on sesi site and log bugger.

FYI: In the shell it says this, when I try to render in viewport:

Remove attempt: : Operation not permitted

I have no idea what means that.

Update. I think I found the problem.

I thinik it's a permission issue because everything works fine if I run houdini as root.

The question is, what directory/file do I need to modify permissions on in order to render in the viewport?

I didn't bother posting this on the beta forum because I think this problem is specific to my machine.

TIA

Usualy you don't wanna change something in the install folder that's why you should have only read and execute permision on houdini's files.

The file you wanna render, did u save it under root or normal user?

Another thing will be to erase all the files from /tmp /var/tmp /usr/tmp and /usr/local/tmp (the last 2 location may not be because it depends on what linux you have) as root and try as normal user to make a new scene and render.

I have a single screen and render works just fine in Houdini Apprentice 6.1.208.

As far as open houdini on one screen, you must make a script that tells xinerama (I asume you have XFree and use xinerama for dual screen) to open this app in one screen.

hope it helps :)

calin