Shader "not" sliding... and yet it slides!!!

Hi all!

Some time ago I built a camouflage shader for my Masters Project.

Today while trying it out on the actual model, the shader started to slide, however, I used a rest position at shader level and even one at the geometry...

Funny thing, when I did a small file to send you guys, the shader doesn't slide... crazy, uh?

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

And by the way, is there any way to create the shader (that is mainly driven by noise) to be scale independent? Because if I apply it to a smaller object, I have to tweak all the values again, resulting in different (which is ok and realistic but... I would like to know!) looking end results.

Thanks for your time!

Cheers!

PS - I just remembered that I rendered a 360 frames/degrees turntable with this shader without any issue what so ever... It is the same geo, the only difference is that this one was previously animated through a rig and then rendered out as bgeo, and then I applied the material to it... :(

Camouflage_Shader.hipnc

Edited by J.Santos

it's probably because you've been adding rest attribute after deformation since it was updated every frame to new positions and therefore appeared as sliding over the mesh

you need to use it before any deformation or if using after then plug non-deforming version (using timeshift or something) to the second input of Rest SOP as a reference

the example you've posted is useless in analyzing what's wrong in your real scene since it doesn't even create rest attribute nor is deforming as you have stated that you have in your scene

you can just simply multiply rest attribute by a constant either in SOPs or in shader to setup the scale of the pattern so not that difficult to tweak

Hi Tomas!

Thanks for your reply! I went with the timeshift and everything is ok now!

I uploaded the file so someone could check if it was a mistake I did in the shader and/or give some suggestion in workflow and the likes! After what you told me, I think I'm going to start including in shaders/files that rely on Noise and similar stuff a parameter to work as a scale/multiplier!

Thanks again!

Cheers!