2d erosion filter

deadalvs

Hi,

Is there an erosion filter in houdini, taking an input black/white displacement map and erode it ?

Goal would be to mimic the erosion filters as e.g. found here : http://www.world-machine.com/about.php?page=features

I've searched a bit, but could not find anything related.

I assume such a node does not exist.. so what would be the best way to create such a node ?

Thanks for any input.

m.

interesting! Thanks for that link !

I have checked the vid and it makes all sense, but it's not really about the actual thing I need, erosion.

Hope to get a few more inputs.

m.

Edited by deadalvs

• 2 weeks later...

You're going to want to simulate your erosion, and that's not cheap. There's nothing out of the box that will give you that level of detail and natural look. What you're asking for is nontrivial.

The first thing I thought of was using a Solver SOP and a noise field to slowly eat away at your landscape. But you're better off describing the effect that you want instead of starting at the technique level. Are you creating a landscape? Is this going to be a texture map? Is this in the background? Can you use existing elevation data (and save yourself time)?