PBR all purpose layered shader

danylyon

Hi Danny, Just saw the 9th version of the shader on Orbolt and installed but would love to have a feature changes from version to version, is that possible?

Also, a little video tutorial would help a lot getting your head around it…

thanks in advance, really nice work.

BTW, now that the Disney BSDF is out do you reckon integrating it into your shader could be a possibility?

Hi Jordi

There is a Change Log History on the orbolt page. Click on the text next to the version: (version log history)

I only fixed a few bugs in the example files. If there's a major update, I'll send a newsletter.

About the Disney BSDF, I haven't checked it out yet. Anything in particular you like that my shader misses / does differently?

I made my own BSDF, because I really wanted to be able to adjust the peak of the specular. (see 6th image on the store page). Does Disney's BSDF do that?

Hi Jordi

There is a Change Log History on the orbolt page. Click on the text next to the version: (version log history)

I only fixed a few bugs in the example files. If there's a major update, I'll send a newsletter.

About the Disney BSDF, I haven't checked it out yet. Anything in particular you like that my shader misses / does differently?

I made my own BSDF, because I really wanted to be able to adjust the peak of the specular. (see 6th image on the store page). Does Disney's BSDF do that?

Thanks Dany

I saw the history log finally.. :-)

Regarding the Disney one is simply because the interface is friendly, not looking for any particular extra feature just yet as I have not really had the time to play seriously with either. I just mentioned because on your previous posts you seem to have looked at the Disney paper.

Unfortunately I yet to put your shader through serious tests so may have some questions soon.

thanks

jb

Hi Jordi

I had a quick look at the Disney BSDF, great work from Jim. It's great that it's just a VOP node, so artists can extend it.

There are no features that can't be done with my shader though. If you know where the controls are, they are very similar.

I went a bit a different route. I wanted my shader as complete as possible. Including, flakes, displacement etc.. and being able to layer several materials together, out of the box. That what makes it (seem) more complex. I normally just need to paint some textures, choose a preset on the material and plug them in. Most of the time that's all that is needed. So I think it's quite artist friendly, no need to hassle with VOPs.

Of course with jims shader, you get a lot extend ability and control. So, they are quite different.

I agree with you, your solution is a more generalised start to end product and works great.

I have a question regarding the roughness angle and how feels like a much stronger response than the mantra surface one, is it because a compensation factor?

Basically if I blur the highlight the shader response seems amplified… I will do a test on Friday and send you a quicktime showing it on a lab scene.

Hi, this is a great shader.

Is it possible to use it on the Amazon cloud rendering? For my own computer I've put the vex file in a folder defined by HOUDINI_VEX_PATH, but don't know how to do that on cloud if it is possible. Can we use the current $JOB folder and put the file somewhere in there?

All project files referenced relative to $JOB path and using Houdini Indie

Thanks

I was now able to reference the vex files directly within the OTL. So no more extra files to install. This should also make it possible to render on a farm. (thanks to Jim and his BSDF asset gave me the hint!)

Jordi: I've noticed that too, it will need some digging into it and will break backward compatibility. I put it on my bug list and will fix it for the H14 release.

Edited by danylyon

That sounds great! thanks

I was now able to reference the vex files directly within the OTL. So no more extra files to install. This should also make it possible to render on a farm. (thanks to Jim and his BSDF asset gave me the hint!)

Jordi: I've noticed that too, it will need some digging into it and will break backward compatibility. I put it on my bug list and will fix it for the H14 release.

• 2 months later...

Hi Aleks

I just tested it and the normal version works (if I download the OTL from orbolt), unfortunately it doesn't seem to work if I launch it directly with Houdini, I guess it's an orbolt issue.

That is the only option for Apprentice. :-(

Send me an Email to bitteldany@gmail.com so I can prepare you an otl.

• 2 months later...

Hi Dany, how are things going with the roughness angle results discrepancy?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Aleks

I just tested it and the normal version works (if I download the OTL from orbolt), unfortunately it doesn't seem to work if I launch it directly with Houdini, I guess it's an orbolt issue.

That is the only option for Apprentice. :-(

Send me an Email to bitteldany@gmail.com so I can prepare you an otl.

Hi Dany,

I'm doing my first steps with Apprentice. Going to Orbolt and trying to install your shader, it gives me the option to “Launch in Houdini”, but this doesn't work in my machine: a floating window with a big Orbolt logo appears and nothing occurs… Other assets offers the possibility to manually download a OTL, but this option is not present here…

It's possible to access to the OTL and install manually? Maybe sending an email to you? (I don't want to spam your email, for that reason prefer to ask here before).

A big thanks in advance!  :)

• 11 months later...