Packed Prims and impacts

Skybar

I'm exploring the Packed Primitives a bit, and I'm trying to figure out how to tell when a Packed Primitive has hit something, and it kinda works with a SOP Solver. However when I try to AttribTransfer anything inside that SOP Solver, it only works inside there. Nothing happens outside of it, it acts as if the SOP Solver doesn't even exist. Is it not possible to add attributes like this with Packed Prims?

You should be able to add attributes to a packed object in a SOP Solver - can you attach a file that shows what isn't working? Also, note that impact data is recorded for RBD Packed Objects (just like regular RBD objects), and the 'primnum' field will tell you which packed primitive was hit.

Actually it might just be me who are clueless and doing it all wrong. I tried with a multi-solver just now and then the attribute does show up in the DOPnet as well as in SOPs - however now it always has a value of zero, where as it has the correct value in the SOP Solver.

So I excuse myself and instead ask how do I do this correctly?

packPrims_SopSolver.hipnc

edit: And if I put the multi-solver after the Rigid Body Solver I get values in SOPs.. I think I've been using FLIP too much. So, then, is this the correct way to do it?

Edited by Skybar

The main thing is to make sure that the SOP Solver is being run *after* the Bullet solver, so that impact data is available. I've attached a good way of setting things up that makes it a bit more clear what's going on. If you want to only run the SOP Solver on certain objects, the Switch Solver can be used.

packPrims_SopSolver.hipnc

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old post, but is there a way to tell which prim hit which other prim within the packed prim? (sounds like inception in here). If I copy and pack a sphere 10x, I want to know not just IF a sphere collided, but also which other sphere it collided with. 

Edit: Nevermind. I wasn't looking at it right. ;P  Seems to be fine, but the positions aren't in the place of the actual impact. I'm guessing there's some weird transform not being added up correctly.

Final Edit: Yeah my object was transformed at obj level, so the dop import was offsetting based on that.

Edited by Solitude