Homeless man (mild nudity)

abvfx

Cheers mate, ive been meaning to be more regular ie i update my blog at least once a week. 

But about the stiff hairs, i thought so too. I thought maybe it was a settings thing and just needed to play around with them until i found something i liked. Was prepared to do a bunch of wedges overnight and pick the setting i liked. But i did a test with procedurally driven clumps and then one with the guides as clumps.

proceduralVSexplicit.jpg

After this test, not only do i prefer the procedurally driven clumps but it shows it has to be down to the groom, not the settings. So its just a matter of sculpting the hair better. 

Another hair test, just getting used to the workflow of switching between different styles (This being a David Lynch style). It's all very early WIP stuff.  Also I saved a few of my render tests and will upload that as a sequence soon, 

LynchHair.jpg

Obviously the parting need more attention :)

Edited by abvfx
  • Like 1

So i did an hour long artist walkthrough on how to get setup with the fur module. Hope it provides people with some knowledge on the topic. Be sure to check out the vimeo page or my blog for chapter listings.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So it was time i did some body hair for this guy so here is the update.

bodyHair.jpgclayBodyHair.jpg

backBodyHair.jpg

I think it turntable time now. When it comes to the textures the dirt/bruising/freckles/details might be too strong, i dont know it make it more stylized but less realistic.

By the way there is no displacement in these renders (i wanted it to be fast). This is all raytraced fur.

• 2 weeks later...

m'kay im done. There is little more i could tweak without redoing entire sections again. I'm not gonna turn this into that uncanny valley thread (i don't have the patience :)). Im sure he is deep in there, but then again he is static with a default pose. Im working on a pose and scene to put him in, but this is the end of the line for this thread. He is no longer a work in progress.

The renders are small but in the posed version i will do some big one's along with a turntable or two.

finalbody.jpg

finalface.jpg

finalfacebeardhair.jpg

finalfacebeardhairlside.jpg

finalfacebeardhairRside.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Really love this work!  Great job!!

The one thing I would say is that his fur groom could be a little shaggier.  Take a look at the attached paint-over.  

Red :: I think he could use a few straggling hairs on his upper cheek and his ears.  Many older dudes get fur popping out of those areas and if he is unkempt then they will definitely appear there.

Blue :: Another area is longer, more bushy eyebrows.  They look a little too trimmed and could be a little more wild like this reference. 

Screen-shot-2012-07-14-at-12.36.40-AM.pn

Overall it is super successful!  Really great job.

Also, if you ever wanted two homeless guys in one shot, just take the beard off your current model and slightly change the skin tone.  He looks like a completely different guy and you just added a new character free of charge!

post-12543-0-61345900-1417833963_thumb.p

Edited by tdu