Copy and Pasting keyframes

jim c

I've made a working walk cycle for character that's set up as a DA. I've saved this walk cycle as a hip file. Now in another hip file, with the same character DA, I've got some different animation, from frames 1-45. Starting at frame 61, I'd like to paste in the frames for the walk cycle. What I tried was opening two sessions of Houdini, one with the walk cycle, and one with the more involved animation. Using the Channel groups to pick the appropriate set of channels, I copied, and then pasted into the other scene. However some of the frames that got copied in are just completely wrong, as if they are being pasted into the wrong channel. I can use the Channels > Export/Import menu in the Channel Editor, but that overwrites whatever animation is there, it doesn't import at the current frame.

Any ideas on how to do this? Am I doing something wrong?

Hi Jim

I made a simple test using your method , of 2 houdini, then copy from one to the other.

What I did is,just copy the entire F curves of animation from one to the same F curve animation from the other.

In this case it is just the translation X,Y,Z

It will paste the F curve in the place where your time line is positioned.

Make sure all the channels have key frames.

Well here is a snap shot , select the F curves, copy , Then select the F curce in the other and paste.

Mangi

post-2848-0-91156800-1388004976_thumb.jp

Thanks! I've tried it with smaller things, like your example, and had no problems. Unfortunately this is taking around 200 fcurves, so it's harder to track down what's going on. I'm still fiddling around with it, but it definitely seems like some of the copied curves are either not being pasted correctly, or the channels are somehow getting confused.

Sigh, I'm a complete idiot. I had channels with no key frames in them and that was the problem. After going to frame 1 and ensuring that same set of channels had at least a single keyframe, that fixed the problem. On the one hand I can't believe I missed this, on the other I do wish Houdini would at least warn me? Or create them automatically?

Sigh, I'm a complete idiot. I had channels with no key frames in them and that was the problem. After going to frame 1 and ensuring that same set of channels had at least a single keyframe, that fixed the problem. On the one hand I can't believe I missed this, on the other I do wish Houdini would at least warn me? Or create them automatically?

"Make sure all the channels have key frames."   Mangi´s Quote

Kool Glad, you got it working

Mangi

Edited by mangi