Import/export to modo not possible?

Hey guys, yesterday I tried exporting my first animation to modo without any success.

I exported an alembic file, which modo couldn't open at all because houdini didn't add a file extension to the file.so modo couldn't recognize it. Adding the file extension myself made it possible to at least recognize the file as an alembic file and start the import dialog but it did not import anything.

After that I tried an fbx instead which also didn't work properly. It only exported one frame of my file. After that I tried importing it to blender but there I also always just received one frame of my frame, even though I chose frame range as an export option. Any ideas?

Modo probably hasn't upgraded their Alembic version to support the new Ogawa back end. See http://forums.odforce.net/topic/18837-alembic-export-issue-in-houdini-13/

As for FBX export, did you try setting the frame range correctly? Note that this will create a cache in a subdirectory along with the .fbx file, so if you move it elsewhere, you need to move the cache along with it. After exporting, try doing a File > New and immediately importing it back into Houdini again. Of course, the FBX version has also been updated in Houdini 13, so it's not clear which version of FBX Modo supports.

I've encounter the same problem with simple animated geo with Houdini 12.5 abc export  -> Modo 701 abc import, as maya 2014 and Houdini 12.5 show no problem reading my .abc ,problem looks to come from Luxology translation. i don't find any workaround. Usually nextlimit .bin is a good workaround, but there are no plugin for modo.

Please let me know if you solve this one ! :)

edward, thanks that worked. I used the alembic rop and used hdf5. However, modo can't import changing (called morphing) meshes on import - isn't that exactly the point of alembic?

To import each frame sort of as seperate meshes so it definitely gets imported correctly? Probably just a weird import issue on the modo side...

sebkaine, how to solve the problem is described in edward's link.

Edited by Andreas Galster

well i've just retry in HDF5 but still have the same error message "This file contain meshes that morph with varying number of vertices or faces, the morphs for this meshes were not imported".

The file open correctly in

- houdini 13

- maya 2014

So maybe i'm doing something wrong or maybe modo don't like FX mesh with exotic topology modification ... :)