Find and process distance between fracture primitive/pieces

venator11387

I’m currently doing a crumble sim with the typical voronoi–RBD fracture workflow. My main method involves deleting everything, but the “inside” primitive geo. I then use another delete sop to have only pieces greater than a velocity value show up, which are then sourced for dust and debris. However the problem is that the piece primitives that do not separate also end up being sources. I’m hoping to also emit when each and every edge/surface separates.

This is the method I’m trying to work out: measure the distance between each of the pieces “inside” primitives. If the primitive pieces get to a minimum distance, then they would show up to be sourced. What kind of workflow would be recommended for this? Is a vopsop or a for-each node recommended?

Method Layout:

Bring in "name" attributes/every "piece" geo

Find distance between "piece" prim and the closest neighboring piece

if distance > value;

output “piece”

if distance == 0;

delete/don't output “piece”

In the voronoi fracture, turn on pieces so they are put into groups, you can give the inside pieces a different name if you want.  Use a delete sop to get rid of everything but the inside pieces.  Then use a trail sop to compute velocity..and you can visualize it with adding color in a point sop.  Use another delete sop to delete velocity you don't want by using the length() command

Edited by ntkirby

Hi, Neil thanks for the reply. That's actually the workflow I've been using. I wanted to further filter out the pieces based on the distance between a primitive and the neighboring/opposite primitive it faces.

I just found out that about the debris source SOP, which should do the job!

Interesting, I was working on same kind of problem. For that i used popnet(old), I created one particle for each face, particle has no velocity it just follows the centroid of face and check for nearest particle and nearest dist through proximity pop node. then outside pop node i applied a simple vop logic to check if there is change in nearest distance attribute and if yes, i add a Cd attribute.

I should also check debris source sop. I have no idea which will be faster.