flip, filling up object.

Alexpdennis

i know this is super lame, but i gotta get it done...  i cant figure out a way to get the area of the fluid mesh that touches the edge of my static rigid body, to be flush and smooth.  the client has referenced the iPhone 5c commercial, thats not lame at all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8IAkbWJNfY

it almost looks like booleans or wet maps or something.  any insight or direction would be greatly appreciated.  i've uploaded where i am so far.  still very much a WIP, but i think its going in the right direction.  just need some special insight.  

thanks again, in advance for everything,

a

tubeGeo.hipnc

Inf2.hipnc

Edited by Alexpdennis

Hey Alex,

Had I happened to work on said project, and was unable to confirm it , one of the methods I/we may have used to get the 'flush' appearance was to create a super smooth vdb of the original shape (making sure our original geo was all enclosed surfaces) and using vdb combine mult against the product so that no matter what the shape was going to be within the original, then it was just a matter of making sure we fill up the shape enough. All of those shots may or may not be very controlled flip sims, mixed with some other 'growing' solvers we may have developed so that the client could have what they wanted ;) 

yay for NDA's

If I can find a non-project related example of how I did it, i'll post it.

-N

Edited by narbuckl
  • Like 3

!!!!!!!!!!

firstly that was awesome.  secondly, THANK YOU, and thirdly, congrats on those beautiful spots sir, if you'd actually worked on them and could disclose it. lol.

I tried to look up what too do based on your reply, and im just a real numbskull.  I got a lil closer, i think, with this test.  but im having trouble figuring out what to do with the vdb combine joint.  i made a slightly more extruded obj for the product (static rbd) and another volume (normal size) for the secondary vdb object.  im guessing it kind of works like a boolean?  

thanks in advance!

a

RBD_static.hipnc

VDB_obj.hipnc

Inf4.hipnc

Heyo,

Here is a little scene that demonstrates 'a technique' in which you can make almost any 'globby' sim, flush to a surface via openVDB.

Let me know if this helps, the idea is that you have a sim filling up your object but when you mesh it, its kinda globby and goes past the surface, this just makes that part flush without affecting the interior results.

-N

vdbBuild.hip

Edited by narbuckl